Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

ShortL
Casual Contributor

Black and white thinking (splitting)

I'm struggling with black and white thinking big time. I had been in recovery a very long time where I could recognized these thoughts before I even said them. Then my grandpa died this summer and then I started watching myself say crazy black and white things like it was another person saying them. Mom, you drove my brother to the hospital but never drove me so you clearly don't love me. Bridesmaid, you didn't pay me back for the dress so you are obviously trying to cheat me. Stranger, you are moving slow so you are obviously trying to ruin someone elses day and its not going to be mine, MOVE! When I reflect on peoples responses, I can see the black and white thinking is an oversimplification if not entirely wrong but I was wondering if anyone has any tips for filtering the comments so I can just evaluate them internally without offending people unintentionally? 

Yes, I've thought of just not speaking lol but that's splitting too. 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Black and white thinking (splitting)

Hi @ShortL,

Welcome to the forums. Its great to have you here. Sorry that you have not recieved a response yet. Sometimes this happens to everyone, and I hope it wont discourage you.

It can take a little while to find the members, and the threads that you most connect with. Some people find it helpful to introduce themselves to other members here.

One of the most important steps in overcoming balck and white thinking, is recognising that you are doing it. You seem to have a lot of self awareness which is amazing and over the half the battle fought right there.

I agree that not speaking at all might not be the best approach ;). I'm wondering, what have you tried so far? Have you ever worked with a psychologist around this stuff?

Do other members have advice for challenging the habit of thinking in black and white?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance