Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

SJD
New Contributor

Bipolar

Right now I am struggling to cope with bipolar, usually I can handle it but lately I have experienced more highs and lows than usual. Even though I have so much support around me I feel so alone because I don't know anyone who also has bipolar and this makes me feel so alone, I want to be able to talk openly to someone who can relate. I just want to say that right now I'm not okay, but I will get through this

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Bipolar

That is a horrible feeling and I am with you. I am the only one I know with Bi Polar and people really don't understand. It can be so isolating despite all the friends and family support

Hi SJD

It sounds like you have a lot of self awareness about your BP which is wonderful and the positive thoughts of knowing you will get through it are to be very much admired. It sounds like you have put a lot in and worked really hard and I admire that, you should be very proud of your achievement. 
But please remember it is ok NOT to be ok. You are one of the lucky people that appears to have a good support system in place.

So even though none of them have BP find the person you're most comfortable with and talk with them. Of course they won't know exactly how you feel, but it really does help to say things out loud. And now of course you have all of us on this forum. Never feel alone SJD use all the opportunities available to you, there are people out there that know exactly how you feel.

Hey @SJD and @MrX1 I thought I'd pop in as I can see that you're wanting to chat on this thread and it might be easier if you tag each other by putting an @ symbol in front of the person's name you're talking to.  A bit like what I did at the start of this post😊  it's great that you've found the forums and a place to not feel so alone...take care 🌻

Silenus
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the forums @SJD

Bipolar is a wild beastie, and the ride is anything but smooth and predictable. Speaking from my own life with bipolar, it probably activated when I was 8 years old. I lived with bipolar in near-total ignorance until I was first diagnosed with depression at the age of 40, then rediagnosed with bipolar about 6 months later.

It is definitely so much better being aware of the problems instead of living through them ignorantly as I did for decades. Since 2011, I have spent a lot of time on mental health forums. I find that the textbooks and the mental health diagnostic manuals are all well and good and an important source of knowledge, but nothing beats conversation with people who have similar lived experiences. I have learned more from mental health forums than from any other source.

When we write our thoughts out (or speak them out), our brains process things differently than if they are just the usual chaotic thoughts churning around in our minds. I can definitely understand that you want to reach out, and I applaud you for doing that. Please feel comforted in knowing that you are definitely not alone.

During these chaotic times it is no wonder that people with mental health issues are being triggered more than usual. It is wonderful to hear that you have a strong support network. Do not feel bad about relying on them in times of need. The moment I started my journey towards improved mental health was that scary moment when I realised that I didn't have all the answers, and that I needed help to find my way. Fellow sufferers helped me to gain a sense of perspective, and to shine a light on hidden recesses within myself that I didn't even know existed.

Much love and respect to you. Welcome once again to this wonderful community.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance