Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

Bipolar and co-morbid Adult ADD?

Hey guys hope everyone is well.

Was diagnosed with BP 1 about a year ago now. I've noted that my psychiatrist that i've had issues concentrating but we both agreed that it was probably due to my psychosis and that I should make a full recovery.

I've now made a fulll recovery, have been stable for about a year. But i still can't concentrate and I'm very stressed about what this means for me next week when I start uni.

My entire life I have had issues concentrating and paying attention, losing valuables, not being able to sit in a chair for too long, etc, but now these symptoms are worse and more pronounced. I'm finding it really hard to keep a solid train of thought whilst writing this! Things I used to take for granted are now hard to do, especially studying. 

This has all culminated and the other day i got into a very serious car crash. I wonder if these symptoms have produced this.. i notice them all the time, but obviously if I cant pay attention whilst I am driving then this is becoming very, very serious.

I've got a referral to see another psychiatrist about these issues. anyone in the same boat? I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel but this is really getting to me!

No idea how uni is going to go this semester...

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Bipolar and co-morbid Adult ADD?

@Former-Member  Hi chaos I have bipolar 1 and schizo and yes my concentration is hopeless. I want to go and do more studies but it will be hard especially with reading and essays. My psychiatrists (I have had 3) have all said 'nicely' that I wont be able to study .... :(. I think primarily due to the stress of study being a trigger for my mania. 

Will this stop me from studying in the future? I hope not. I would love to prove them wrong but I do think (in my case) there has been damage done which will make it very hard for me to study and work in any environment which there is pressure.

Good luck with your studies. Love greenpea

hey @Former-Member 

It is great you have managed and going back to study. 

Smiley Happy

I have issues with concentration and driving and try to manage it, partly by taking the train a lot.  Today I got to station but knew I was not well enough for doing my normal gallivanting so came home for a quiet night.

Take Care

Smiley Happy

hi @Former-Member 

I have always struggled with concentration versus having imaginary conversations (playbacks of recent social interactions or plays of imagined, future social interactions). I too have lost valuables - I always used to lose my wallet and umbrella.

I struggled through university with these MI symptoms and managed to achieve great academic success. So I think you can too if you have the right motivation. Unfortunately for me motivation was the fear of failure or fear of not being academically brilliant. There are more positive motivations - what are yours?

Much better for me today is to be medicated with anti-psychotics. On these I have better concentration.

I think you have a bright future, regardless of your mental-health situation.

If you have a strong intellect, as I do, you can pursue academic goals. For me, the question is more that "is it enjoyable?" for quality of life. And on meds life is better quality for me.

We are all different and that is just my experience. I think you should go for it! Don't let mental illness hold you back. You've been stable for a whole year and it is time to get stuck into some study! What is your field of interest?? Get back to us with your thoughts, BryanaCamp

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance