Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Alyce
New Contributor

Being involved in my partner's care

Hi, I am 21 and my 20-year-old partner has schizophrenia. He is currently on medication which has stopped the hallucinations and he is seeing a social worker once a week for counselling. 

I want to be on his team, to support him. However, he really doesn't like talking about his feelings, thoughts or what goes on in his appointments. I feel like I know nothing about what is going on and quite frankly that is scary. I didn't see his psychotic episodes coming. I didn't know he was struggling so much at work that he had to quit his job. I had suspicions about him struggling at work but whenever I, or anyone else, would ask he said he was fine. This whole situation is making me really emotional but I can't figure out whether I have any right to feel the way I do. He should have his privacy? I don't want to be controlling or to try to be his hero? I just really wish he would share a bit of the burden with me.

Has anyone got any advice on how to communicate about this stuff in a way that will make us both happy? Or a way to cope with the unknown.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Being involved in my partner's care

Hi @Alyce,

talking to to others on the forums is a good place to start.  Learning as much as you can about the illness is also important.  There are some good resources here at Sane.  Depending on which state you live in, you may also be able to contact Carers Australia who often provide support and understanding, including networks.  

I have a teenager with with schizophrenia and psychosis is not a nice thing to watch.  Not communicating or talking about the condition is also common.  Be there for your partner.  Listen, don't judge their behaviour, but also look after your own needs.  You can't support them if you don't look after yourself. 

I am am lucky in that as my son is still a minor, I have some access to his treating team, however any discussions he has with his psychiatrist or psychologist will only be shared if my son gives permission.  

Take care

Thanks @Boo13, that helps. I am trying to learn as much as I can.

@Alyce, you are very welcome.  The journey ahead is not linear.  You will go through ups and downs and at times things will be unpredictable, but remember there is always hope and people do recover.  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance