Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Rosalie
Casual Contributor

Anxiety triggers

Hi everyone

I have had anxiety and depression for most of my life and sought help for it 10 years ago when I was 45. I am on long-term anti-depressants and most of the time I manage my illness but lately I am finding it hard to cope. Mostly due to triggers. Initially my anxiety took hold a few months ago due to my inability to get a new job in spite of finishing a bachelor degree with honours. THe interview process left me feeling not good enough and bit by bit I lost all confidence. Although my main trigger is due to health worries. I try to do all the right things to reduce my health anxieties and get all the right screening checks applicable for my age but I am finding as I am getting older, screening checks don't always come back normal. So far this year I have had to have a colonoscopy, had two moles removed and now need a uterine biopsy. So far all outcomes have been normal but the effect this has had on my anxiety levels is terrible! Tonight I find myself once again feeling as if I cannot breathe and need to escape... very frustrated with myself right now, I know my anxiety is irrational so try to negate my worries with pros and cons, then as anxiety escalates, I try the slow breathing and focus on an object to remove my anxiety from within but I am suphocating inside because I cannot talk about it with anyone. So, I decided to join here and expel my thoughts from within. I dont have an appointment for another 4 weeks with my psychiatrist but to be honest I can't help but feel alone in all of this at the moment. Like this is my battle and the only one who can make it go away is me and at the moment I am not doing a very good job at it. I have promised myself that I will not do screening for a while after this, maybe not knowing in my case is better for my mental health.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Anxiety triggers

Hi @Rosalie

Welcome to the Forums!

Health tests and job interviews are stressful for most people. Add anxiety to this, and it's completely understandable that you're feeling your anxiety has increased.Remember anxiety is like any other illness. Like a cold it has symptoms. And like cold, it's not reflection on you - it's unlikely that you would frustrated with yourself for having a runny nose.

It's good to see that you're working through some strategies. Anxiety can be so crippling, and unfortunately, there's no quick, but it is possible to develop ways to decrease the symptoms overtime.

I wonder if some of our members can share some ways that they manage anxiety or stress. @Former-Member started this discussion thread. In it, @Mazarita and @hiddenite wrote some great practical strategies that you might want to give a go. And @chookmojo also started this thread about anxiety that you might want to contribute to. Or perhaps @chookmojo can offer some support/advice?

CB

Re: Anxiety triggers

Hi @Rosalie,

Glad you have found a place here to express your feelings and get some feedback. I'm 53 and relate to losing confidence even though there seem to be good reasons to feel otherwise, such as your success in gaining a degree with honours. I don't have a degree but there are successes in my life which I currently seem unable to appreciate, mostly related to depression I've struggled with for a long time. I also relate to fears about medical procedures (and other anxieties that get out of hand for me). Like you, medication has helped me with some of this but big problems still remain. You mention doing breathing exercises, which seem to help me too. Also it can be good to simply find a way to distract myself from my anxious thoughts with activities that get my mind off my worries. Mainly I just wanted to say hello and send good wishes on your better peace of mind. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance