Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Am Not Coping

I agree with @Flying_Hams Mr.Tabby Cat - the heat makes everything harder but especially cooking. You know I would have had carrots with that meal but I do have carrots with just about anything lol

hmm was only 33 here today @Flying_Hams but did cook xmas dinner a day early

I can relate to that @Sam3
About certain traits pre dating depression and maybe being a hurdle to getting better.
I think we can only expect so much from ourselves though.

I think many of us can relate to that @Sam3 @Flying_Hams @TAB

Our self-esteem is often rock bottom when depression hits and if it was already low beforehand then seems to make the depression and how we think about ourselves worse.

Thanks @Zoe7 et. al. for feedback that my comment was relatable - helps to know that. So I haven’t found any solutions to low self-worth so far - has anyone else? I have tried affirmations like ‘doing something is better than nothing’ & “I am enough” (BTW kids didn’t like dinner - should’ve left out the 🐣 chick peas!). The cycle is to risk/do the bare minimum and as a result not develop skills & confidence. The company we keep may also be an influence as I compare myself unfavourably. Everyone I know is genuinely more competent than me at most things, except for overthinking & under-doing 🤣 I beat them all at that! 

We all have our own individual strengths @Sam3 So often we focus on what we cannot do and no on what we actually can do. Negativity is ingrained in us when we have a slow sense of self-worth. Affirmations only work if we believe them and when our mind is constantly deferring to the negative we often get lost in doubting ourselves and not liking what we see. There is no magic wand to help us but I have found that making a conscious effort to focus on what I can do really does help - but it takes time and practice - lots of practice!

Thanks for feedback that my comment was relatable - helps to know that. So I haven’t found any solutions to low self-worth so far - has anyone else? I have tried affirmations like ‘doing something is better than nothing’ & “I am enough” (BTW kids didn’t like dinner - should’ve left out the 🐣 chick peas!). The cycle is to risk/do the bare minimum and as a result not develop skills & confidence. The company we keep may also be an influence as I compare myself unfavourably. Everyone I know is genuinely more competent than me at most things, except for overthinking & under-doing 🤣 I beat them all at that! 

its a progression I think,when the last little bits holding things together wear away A GP used to see decades ago used the filling up petrol tank analogy ..when the petrol gets burned up glossing over things and making self keep going, well in my experience. I was literally told to go and smell the daisys once. It can work, its just hard to get things started. another time I was asked what are things that are bugging me, the little 'list' things, cos they all add up .. I remember saying things like needing a saucepan etc, prob do now as well lol. I hate cleaning and tidy, but I find a positive effect after doing it. If I had somewhere I could picture myself reading I would start that again too  @Zoe7@Sam3@Flying_Hams

@Sam3 We don't need to compare ourselves with anyone else but ourselves. If we can be the best version of ourselves that we can be then that is enough. We are always learning and growing and it is the ability to incorporate that into who we are that is important. Some days are simply days to just be but others - when we have more energy - are those when we can be more present in the world - both of these times we learn about ourselves and caarry that through into the next moment, the next interaction, the next phase of our lives.

Sounds  familiar re others being more competitive and yes re company you keep, but in my case that has distilled down to me. ok not my own best carer lol. and yes re overthinking underdoing as well @Sam3

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance