Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

eeram
New Contributor

ADHD - Is it not as important?

So almost every mental health organisation I've ever dealt with, has never even mentioned ADHD as a disorder let alone offer any helpful resources/information.. Why is this? Is it not considered as a mental health disorder? I can tell you first hand that this lack of acknowledgment makes sufferers feel less worthy of support and even adds to my fear of telling people that I have it. I'm not worried to tell people about my anxiety disorder, but it's rare that I admit to having ADHD.

7 REPLIES 7
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: ADHD - Is it not as important?

Feel ya mate, having ADHD I've been through a similar experience.

My understanding is the public (especially in Australia, Perth) are misinformed.
Martin Whitely was a secondary school  teacher who joined politics to fight increasing treatment of ADHD kids in 2001.
"In his first parliamentary speech (2001) he called for tighter ADHD prescribing controls."
He wrote a thesis after politics, supporting his views. The media loved the story, it's effect can still be felt today. crazy thing is, it was actually a good cause... I know I'd be screwed without my Meds.

Don't take my word for it, Martin Whitely's story is on wikipedia. Interesting read.

As for information Russell Barkley one of the leading experts in ADHD

I'd also recommend a YouTube channel called "How To ADHD"

Your not alone bud!

Theres a lot of stigma around ADHD, because people don’t understand it. Sufferors are labled lazy, and unmotivated. So many professionals don’t understand and go by old school diagnosis and are hesitant to diagnose. It is hard and makes it hard for people to talk about it and i think that also contributes to a lot of other co morbid mental illnesses as well. Hopefully things will change over time - it has already changed so much. They have figured out that girls are just as likely to have it and that it can exist past childhood/adolescence, which is already fighting the stigma. 

I’m new here and I have it

Hello @lifeisstupid, @eeram, @JJJ1

how are you today

2 of my stepsons were diagnosed when they were young , still believe they still have adhd

I think I had always had signs of it but I wasn’t diagnosed until quite late, I was in high school 

@Sophie1  .... 👋💕

It's recognised as a disability under Commonwealth law so it is a bona-fide condition, albeit what can now be described as an "invisible disability"; despite more studies and research than not now suggesting that ADHD is a lifelong disorder the attiitude is still eye rolling and "aww yea my kid had that at school but they grew out of it". I've lost more than one job due to it and employers think meds are magic bullets that will make you a model employee, meet KPI's and finalising paperwork for a job you did days ago etc etc. 

I've essentially given up hope for working again, the attitude of employers is that it doesn't exist (that's state government too) and it's been "performance reasons" that my last role was finished up - despite trying to explain. It's a great thing to have working because of the mental flexibility it gives but it feels like don't ask, don't tell.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance