Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

ArraDreaming
Senior Contributor

27 REPLIES 27
Tip99
New Contributor

Re: I’m a loser

I use my phone too when I am feeling anxious in a social setting. 

Hey @ArraDreaming ,

I'm here if you need a chat 🙂

Hey @tyme @I am ok, was just feeling awkward. Got invited to a mates place for drinks and music but then I just sat their awkwardly for a lot of time, found a couple nice people in the end but I know I looked like a massive loser 

Hey @ArraDreaming - to be honest, I don't think you would've looked like a loser even if it felt awkward.

I don't know about you, but after 'growing up' , I found I don't enjoy parties much at all. As kids and young-er people, parties was the cool thing....now, it's more an obligation and often feels awkies unless family/kids tag along that you can be distracted with.

What do you think?

That’s what happened @tyme 

It wasn’t really a party more just a gathering in a backyard. 
normally I’d do to those thibgs with my partner but we don’t have all the same friends and it was last minute sp I just went on my own. There was a few people I ended up hanging out with which was ok in the end 

Fair enough @ArraDreaming - people change, people 'grow up', people mature, and so do their interests. Makes sense you went alone seeing you probably didn't have enough time to organise for a babysitter.

Out of curiosity, if the situation arose again, would you attend?

I would because it ended up being quite fun, but I did sit alone for a fair bit of time and just felt like everyone was like “oh what a loser on his own” and then when I did speak to people after a few minutes they ended up going to speak to other people and I was just standing there by myself, I tried to join in to different conversations but just felt real awkward. It was a bit weird but I’d go again because they are friends of mine/acquaintances through a sports club I was in. 
skmetimes I can be super introverted and not sure what to do other times I’m the opposite. @tyme 

I think I left thinking it was fun I had a good time but can’t help but think I was definitely the awkward loser who people weren’t sure I was even there, because I am 

I'm happy to hear your recent experience hasn't deterred you from going again @ArraDreaming . That shows resilience.

And as you said, it was awkward at first, but when you began to mingle, it ended up okay. In a way, it feels like the new kid in the class, or a first day at work, eh?

Takes time to warm up, but it's probably good to get out once in a while.

Yeah spent the last 2 and a half years with limited social opportunities… feels weird to be back out. @tyme also doesn’t help that I don’t drink anymore 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance