Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

mrkotter
Senior Contributor

Support Groups in Sydney - bipolar

Hello!

I'm new to the forums but I have introduced myself in the Welcome Wednesday thread.

I'm looking for a bit of help in finding a support group in Sydney. As I have bipolar I would prefer one that has a strong bipolar presence. I'm not in need of support per se but as I've just moved here maybe I might make a friend or two by attending. Nothing like sharing a joke about staying up for 5 days straight coming up with some grand plan with someone who gets it and without the fear of judgement.

For those that know Sydney I'm on the lower North Shore and work in the CBD so I'm not looking to travel out west.

Any suggestions? 

@suzanne you've already given me some decent help already, can you help out here?

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Support Groups in Sydney - bipolar

Hi @mrkotter

It's great to see you around the forums 🙂

As the forums are anonymous, it's tricky for people to recommed support groups that they attend, because it gives away identifying informaiton. 

But if anyone knows of any services that provide support groups, which mrkotter might want to look up, please feel free to post.

mrkotter - You might want to start with Community Care Northern Beaches

I'm not sure if they are linked to support groups as such, but it might be a good starting point!

@NikNik wrote:

Hi @mrkotter

As the forums are anonymous, it's tricky for people to recommed support groups that they attend, because it gives away identifying informaiton. 

But if anyone knows of any services that provide support groups, which mrkotter might want to look up, please feel free to post.

@NikNik yep, I'm only looking for names of support groups not recommendations or people's experiences. Thank you for the clarification.

Hi @mrkotter, it's a great idea to try to get some connections happening with people who understand your condition.  Have you come across Grow?  I've pasted some info on them below.  They run support groups around mental health.  You'd need to give them a call, or check out their website, to see what's happening locally.  The focus of the groups vary according to the members so you may need to try a couple to find one that suits.

Here is a page from the Black Dog institute that talks about their REACH programs which might serve the social function you need.  This program is geared towards your condition but I'm not sure if you're after a structured program. 

GROW

1800 558 268 (national)

9-4 Mon-Fri

national@grow.org.au 
www.grow.org.au/ 
Grow is a community-based organisation assisting Australians recover from mental illness through a unique program of mutual support and personal development via support services.

Support Groups - The Grow program is a holistic, group support model based on Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. Groups support members with their mental health and everyday development. Grow Groups meet weekly and vary in size from 3-10 members, and are run by seasoned ‘Growers’ who have taken a voluntary leadership role within the Group. Over the course of each meeting, the group engages in a series of group discussions, interactions, and readings that follow a structure and timetable to ensure everyone has an opportunity to participate, and meetings finish on time.

It is free to participate in Grow programs. There are no assessments, no need for a diagnosis and no strict eligibility criteria.
Website – find a Grow group online (250 to choose from)

@suzanne thanks champ!

Hi,

I'm replying to this past post as I am now in a similar boat. I have recently been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder and am living in the Lower North Shore. I am wondering if you had any luck in terms of finding support group in the area?

Much thanks.

Mush

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance