Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Pollyotter
Senior Contributor

Stigma... Taboo...Fake... In Your head...

We all have had our own interesting backgrounds and events that bought us here. Some folks know me and others do not know me witch is fine . 

Something that I found interesting is how in today's work there are still people who like to say things like " your faking " " its nothing " or the one that gets my blood boiling " get over it" 

I just left a counseling session where I was told that disassociation is fake... I am not really experiencing it . Let me just add that I am studying counseling myself with a special interest in Trauma counseling as well... 

I am not all-knowing but I am not someone who googled disassociation and walked around with it. 

I want to invite anyone who has had something similar happen to them to please feel free to share it here. 

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Stigma... Taboo...Fake... In Your head...

I'm really sorry that happened to you. I spend my life dis-associated. It's my coping mechanism. I wish I could figure out how to stop doing it because then maybe I could get better and make something of myself.

@Pollyotter that’s rough coming from a counsellor in particular. Sorry that was your experience today.

i do find people that haven’t walked this walk, or had someone very close to them walk, or people who are specifically trained in mental health field to be insensitive and really have no clue. I spent a fair bit of time in the past in the ED, before my local hospital built a specific mental health ED unit. I found the regular ED nurses so rude, I always felt judged. 

I still remember a nurse telling me to go bounce a ball and be happy. 

@Pollyotter Hi there and welcome to the forums I hear what your saying I once had a phychologist tell me point blank that  I wasnt depressed  and did not have depression even though I was trying to explain how I felt despite my happy front in front of her she more or less questioned me about how I felt as if feeling depressed wasnt true,so I ended up saying to her oh ok so Im not depressed or something like that more or less I was just pretending to agree with her opinion of me even though I didnt believe what she was saying was true,also questioned if I had ever been diagnosed with Depression and Anxiety? its true Ive never been diagnosed with anxiety or depression by my doctor but then again its something Im good at hiding from my doctor for most of the time but anyway the point is just because they think its just in your head or they think your being fake doesnt mean that your lieing about how you feel cause only you know how you feel and not them,besides I have a few family members that have known me my whole life and they can clearly see at times signs of mental health issues,and my family believes me and also I was getting treatment from that suposed phychologist when I began experiencing panic attacks at the time and the phychologist was suposed to be helping me deal with that not question how the person feels,no wonder I have a tendancy to feel shamefull about myself when I have tried to get help its because unfortunetly some people are not suited to helping people by working in that kind of job,sorry for how youve been made to feelX LostAngel Heart 

@Bow 

I am so sorry that you had to experience this . 

I was blown away at this interaction today and I must add that I expected this from a third-world kind of therapist.

You are right if they haven't been there or done that then a lot don't have a idea of what is going on. 

@LostAngel 

It's crazy how the client/patient has to validate what the service provider thinks is going on.. it makes you wonder about their education at the end of the day. 

As someone diagnosed for over 25 years by a Professor of Psychiatry, and confimed many times since by other psychiatrists and psychologists, of living with three types of Dissocation (DID, DA, DFS) I can state with confidence that you need to not go to a counsellor and to go to a psychologist or get a referral to a Psychiatrist for a proper diagnosis.

Whilst Google can provide information don't rely it solely to back up your concerns. Please seek proper help as I did and continue to do. Poor Mental Health with Dissociation is a journey not an event and if you are a sufferer there are steps you can and/or need to take to ensure your safety.

Good luck with your journey.

@Pollyotter  I’ve had similar experiences. One psych told me to read books, not watch tv, get a purpose, and get over my past. Just like that. I never went for a second session.

Get over it, chin up, get a life etc, are expressions from people who don’t care enough to hear, or see the real suffering we all struggle through. Sometimes, the only time people change, is if it happens to someone close, or to them personally.

I live with DID, so dissociation is part of who I/we are.

You deserve better. Good therapists are out there, but not easy to find. I hope you find one, keep searching. 💜💜

@Maggie
It seems to be a re acutring thing . We all deserve mental health services that are true and not a "buck up" teller. I am studying to become a counsellor I donf know if I will ever practice it but I do find that some of the theoretical work questionable. However I do find some persons are good and they actually have a good out come. .. any way lets see

@Pollyotter  I hope you do counselling when you finish your studies. Looking from the inside out, not only theoretical, would have advantages for those you hear. In the meantime, I hope you find an understanding and compassionate ear, and the support you need and deserve.

I do think trauma counseling is a specific area, and in particular, childhood trauma. Just my thoughts ,as I journey through the rubble.

Take care.💙💙

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance