Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Sadness

I tend to shrink away, perhaps to process the feelings. I go between 'problem solving' when I have the energy and 'distractions' (unhealthy like scrolling on phone/healthier like listening to music while pottering around the house). Time passing helps. I tend to be most sad when one of my children with mental health issues is struggling. Sometimes it just takes the time for them to process enough to the point that they are able to talk to me about it, then things start to improve for me once they are doing better.
utopia
Senior Contributor

Sadness I generally just sit with.

But when it goes into lonliness, I cry, a lot.

I have to try and focus on the things I have achieved so far. And to know that more good things are to come. Especially when Covid settles down.

I also shut down negative thoughts that are not true and lead to unnecessary judgement of myself.

And as always, if the emotion is too strong for me to cope with - I sleep. I always feel better able to cope with feelings after a good sleep.

Unfortunately nothing seems to even mitigate my sadness under my current circumstances.  In the past, however, I tended to close up a bit to either process and deal with whatever was making me sad or, when this was not possible, just wait it out until the feelings weren't so raw.  Weightlifting used to help a bit as well, but the best cure was a hug and an "I love you" from my (ex)wife.

I'm currently feeling a lot of sadness. At the moment I am letting it work it's way out through journalling, sharing in sharing circles and talking to nurses. When I feel the tears well in my eyes, I don't try and fight them. Fighting the tears doesn't allow me to move through it. 

When I'm sad I use different styles of music to help me tap into another feeling if it's too intense or to stay with the sadness if it's bearable.

Q4. My go to reaction to sadness is usually to put myself to bed and sleep.

Getting up and actually doing something (even just sitting outside in the sun) also helps. Sometimes I have a good cry.

@cloudcore 

SJT63
Senior Contributor

Like a lot of others, I deal with it by avoidance or distraction - sleep or television - mostly I know the cause and it can't be changed, so just wait it out until the feelings pass.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance