Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Sadness

Question 2:

How does sadness show up in your life?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@SJT63 @AlwaysHappy @Owen45 @utopia @Arizona @RedHorse @CogsWhirl @pinklollipop15 @periwinklepixie @BPDSurvivor @Jorge @MIFANTCARER 

I withdraw, go through the motions, do and say the minimum, feel numb, stay up late wasting time on my phone and sometimes listen to music to get back in touch with feelings.
SJT63
Senior Contributor

very much like @AlwaysHappy 

I go onto auto-pilot and waste a lot of time in front of the teev or listening to audiobooks instead of getting on with what needs to be done, or even what will make me feel better.

It shows up most when I'm already tired; when I lose sight of the big picture and focus too much on little things. When I look to the past instead of the future.

I need to be alone, which I pretty much never am, and I lose interest in everything.

Hi @cloudcore 

Sadness doesn't show up often but when it does I wonder why. Sometimes I feel lonely and misunderstood maybe that is why. 

Thank you for your responses @AlwaysHappy @SJT63 @pinklollipop15  Smiley Happy

I tend to feel sad whenever I spend too much time reflecting on the past, and when I'm tired too @SJT63. It also arises whenever I'm feeling disconnected/abandoned in my relationships.

Sadness is the emotion I experience most often between anger, fear and sadness, and has led me to isolating myself further in the past too. These days when I'm feeling sad, I use that as a prompt for me to reach out for support instead. That has made a huge difference Smiley HappyHeart

Sadness shows up in the pit of my stomach. I try to consider why it is there when I am feeling strong enough.

It is sitting there right now. I am giving myself permission to aknowledge it's there and straight away tears form. I know I'm not ready to delve deeper right now, so for now I'll park it and revisit it later. I've become really good at this step. I'm not trying to push it away, it will be heard and I will be able to move on eventually.

Rhye
Senior Contributor

Hey @Jorge 

That was a really beautiful way you articulated your experience of sadness. Allowing our feelings to flow freely can be difficult at times, I know it can be for me. That said, I can really identify with the possibility for it to be a cathartic feeling when we allow the space for it (which is not always the case!).

I love how you've been able to meet your sadness and experience it as what sounds like a form of deep acknowledgement and gratitude.

Thank you for sharing, and kudos for having put in the work that I imagine would have been required for reaching this point.

Rhye

Hey@Rhye

Thankyou

It is a hard slog and it can take us to places we just aren't ready to tackle. When we can admit that and tackle it later with clarity it makes all the difference. You just made my day : )

mum12
Casual Contributor

Loneliness and being disconnected from the situation/people involved.

Disappointment, feeling of being used and misunderstood.

Voice inside screaming ' You are not worthwhile'

Like @pinklollipop15 ,

Sadness doesn't show up much for me nowadays. But when it does, I feel cold, disconnected, spaced out and intend to withdraw.

Like you said @cloudcore , I believe sadness can come from thinking of the past and perhaps dwell on the not so pleasant bits.

Thanks for sharing @mum12 @Jorge @Rhye 

BPDSurvivor

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance