Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Denv12
Senior Contributor

Life Without A Computer.

Hi everyone.

Days before xnas my computer got damaged by lightening strike.It didnt damage the modem so at least I can use that via wifi with my mobile phone.Lastnigjt my home phone was out.Still waiting for technician to call in.Dont know what to do about fixing the computer or buy a new one or buying an android tablet. I bought a new motherboard for the pc and fitted just dont not that pc savy to do anything else. I only have money to buy much needed household groceries next week.Had offers for some of my belongings but offers are an insult.No sale. Sorry for the sad rant.

Regards Denv12.

Update:

I have since bought one OTG cable online.$1.55.Its a start.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Life Without A Computer.

Hi @Denv12 ,

Sorry to hear about your computer.  You can use an android table with a keyboard with an OTG cable.  You can also get a wireless keyboard and use it via bluetooth.  You could probably do the same with your phone, at least most androids can fairly cheaply.  Shop around for the cable as some places are quite expensive.  That might be a good option untill you sort things out.

Personally I'd go with the first suggestion as it will use less battery.  I used to do it all the time.

Take care

hey @Denv12 sorry about your computer
@Gazza75 has made a good suggestion here for you, hopefully it helps.
theres also places like radio rentals that offer longer term payment plans to pay off computers but you get the product now.

Do you know if the PSU is OK?

I managed to completely fry one a few years ago - smoke plus burning electrical smell. 

Hi @Gazza75..Thank you for your suggestions. I am using my android phone and my TP link modem wifi.Its still working.I have been thinking of the tablet.I could use my pc keyboard.I will look for the cable.

Regards Denv12.

Hi @outlander.I will look into the option.Thank you.
Denv12.

Hi TheVodtican.

After lightning stopped I tried to switch on pc.It made funny noises and puff of smoke.

I replaced power supply.Didnt work.Bought new motherboad then fitted it.Not pc savy to reconnect everything but had a friend try.Still no go.Running out of money.

Denv12.

@Denv12 ah that sucks. Yeah if you've already replaced the PSU and the motherboard then it gets expensive going through each component to see what's fried. 😞

I think I need someone to connect the cables in the case.l dont know how to do that.

I bought the OTG cable online.

Update:

As of Mpnday Feb 3rd my computer is being tested and repaired.Its nice to know that that its in the right place at least.

I bought a book called:"Android tablets for seniors in easy steps." I bought it for $10 including postage.I am thinking about buying a book on laptops in the series in easy steps.They are great books.

Update March 3rd:

My computer was returned.Not repaired.I was told to replace motherboard and power supply..Should I just buy a new one? My monitor was new in 2012 so was my computer.I guess I just need to upgrade and be done with it.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance