Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

cloudcore
Senior Contributor

Let’s talk about Emotion: Introduction

Thoughts and feelings are a conscious part of our everyday lives. They are experiences made up of the feedback we receive from the physical and emotional responses to the world around us.

Underneath what we think and feel are emotions. Emotions manifest in the unconscious mind and studies have shown that they typically last around 90 seconds. That might sound surprising, because there are times when it seems like an emotion is going on for a very long time. When we experience an emotion in the moment, what we are actually left with are the ongoing feelings and thoughts. While feelings and emotions are often used interchangeably, this is an important distinction to make for this discussion to understand the depths of our emotions. Here on the forums, emotions are core to what we share with each other, how we support each other, and how we talk about recovery.

With so much change, and new stresses in our current world, let’s talk about emotions, how we express them, how they feel physically and what we can do to cope when stresses lead to bigger emotions in our lives. Once we have a clearer understanding of what emotion we are experiencing, we can deal with them more effectively.

Over the next two months, we will be picking a new emotion to talk about fortnightly as a community.

The emotions wheel:

For this discussion, you will hear us refer back to the emotions wheel to help us identify feelings and emotions:

feelings-wheel.jpeg

Keep an eye on the social spaces board for each new emotions discussion, we encourage everyone to get involved Smiley Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to the emotions discussions:

Anger 

Fear

Sadness

Happiness 

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Let’s talk about Emotion: Introduction

So glad sane is taking seriously a lot of the random posts I have made over the years and that we have moved beyond the narrow discussion  psychiatric labels and meds.

@cloudcore 

Thank you,   

I am looking forward to learning more about working on my emotions. The fear and sad range of emotions I know only too well.  So it will be good to learn about coping with these.

I'm really feeling the wholistic approach as well.

Thank you @Appleblossom . Thank you @cloudcore and whoever the people are putting this through. Such a big wheel. The colours. Oh the colours.

Good attitude @CogsWhirl . Nothing confuses fear like looking forwards does.

This is great @cloudcore !

Im certainly looking forward to it and would love a tag when you post something new (if that's okay with you, of course!).

BPDSurvivor

Thanks for the heads up @cloudcore , I'm looking forward to discussing different emotions in the coming weeks. I'm going to pull out the colour pencils and create an emotion wheel for myself in the meantime. Take care, RedHorse 🌹🐴

Thank you @cloudcore , will be following with interest. 🙂

Hi @cloudcore 

I relate strongly to the sad section of the wheel (also to the fearful section but not as strongly). It really stood out for me.

Yes please, I would like to be tagged.

@cloudcore @Appleblossom @CogsWhirl @NatureLover @RedHorse @BPDSurvivor @wellwellwellnez 

@cloudcore 

Please tag me in these discussions. I will be making a list of the emotions on your wheel. I think it will help me in the work I am doing with my psychologist to be able to identify the correct emotion

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance