Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Let's talk DID and dissociation hi

@MySunrise  Don't know if you just saw my previous reply or you have a sixth sense because tonight I am having some bad thoughts. I'm so tired! 

Hi @destructive @Former-Member @MySunrise @Unlonely1 @Bellarose75 and everyone passing through,

I have been reading back through this discussion space, and have loved reading all the support you have been extending to each other 🙂 @Former-Member. so glad you made this space!

Just wanted to check in and see how you are all going?

Hi Forums Community, 

I thought I might share a recent video that SANE has made on Dissociative Identity Disorder and belonging in the LGBTIQA+ community with one of Peer Ambassadors and Senior Peer Support Worker 🙂 I know these are issues or challenges some of you have discussed here before, so I thought it would be great to share this video with you all.

Living with dissociative identity disorder (DID), SANE Peer Ambassador Shazi didn't feel there was a place for her and the members of her system in the LGBTQIA+ community. Until she put her feelers out online and found the systemfluid or systemgender flag.

In this video, she chats with Senior Peer Support Worker Georgie about stigma and the power of acceptance. 

“I was really excited because I’d found a space - a space that held me and all of my personalities. And that changed things for me." -Shazi 

Does this video resonate with you? What's your experience been with navigating the LGBTQIA+ space (if that's something you have experienced)?

Hey @Daisydreamer - I don't know how to answer that question it's sort of hard for us

Completely understandable @Fluttershy1 Heart 100% okay if you don't want to answer it as well.

How are you doing today?

@Daisydreamer - not so good to be honest

Great Video, thanks for sharing. 
To answer your question, I still struggle in navigating my System in the wider community let alone communities within communities. 

@Daisydreamer thanks for sharing sorry it's taken me a little while to have enough brain space to watch it's been very painfully full in there. 

To be honest I hadn't really though of this because I'm still so new I think I'm very disconnected from my 'parts'.. even still feel funny saying that.. but thinking of it I guess if I have a mixture of voices then maybe this could be a challenge when I learn more. I don't know which parts come out but know I have at least one male voice. I dont consider myself anything to be honest, sexuality wise that is, maybe asexual would be the closest. But because I'm not out with any of my mental health stuff I haven't even looked for a place to belong .. I guess here.. Shazi is brave for doing that and continuing to even when it didn't fit at first.

It was nice to see a physical person with DID too. 

@Fluttershy1  hope you're doing a little better today

Hi guys sorry I've been on hiatus just really rough time will be around today though

@Daisydreamer , thanks for the tag. It's amazing to hear how we fit in the LGBTQ+community. We have what we lovingly call a rainbow family with children and senior family members that belong to the community.  I had always wondered if I had a place there and it's refreshing to know we are accepted. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance