Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Denv12
Senior Contributor

How To Talk With Anyone.

There are times in our lives when we need and should chat or converse with other people.It can be for a social chit chat with friends,family or someone you just met and you are hoping to date.The process is simple.You just need the right topic and thats all. The best topic to talk about with another person is each other.You ask each other questions to learn all about each other. You don’t have to struggle with topics like the weather,etc.Most people don’t know what to talk about.So,next time you want to have a conversation with someone just focus on them,they focus on you and you both take it in turns of getting to know each other.

For example, you see someone you’d like to make friends with.You start by saying “Hi”. They say “Hi”. From there you should introduce yourself:

Hi,my name is…….”. They then introduce themselves to you:

“Hi……,My name is………”nice to meet you".

The blank spaces are where you would say your name and they would say their name.

From there you start by asking the other person questions to get to know them.Then they should ask you a question to get to know you.If you met at a party you could ask them this,”So,who do you know at this party?” “I know the hosts.I knew them when we were in the same class at school”.They've been together ever since."

You can find out more about each other just by asking them more questions about themselves.Its also the best time to find out what things you and them have in common too.The more things you have in common the better.Find out what school they went to,where they work,what interests do they have.What they like doing on weekends,etc.

You and them are trying to get to know each other.To do that by just taking it in turns of asking each other questions to learn more about each other.Focus the topics on them.

Rehearse each step.Practice each step.Dream about each step so you do it without thinking about it.Its no big deal.

Regards Denv12.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: How To Talk With Anyone.

Hey @Denv12  yeah this is super solid advice! Love these tips actually. Another one - I remember when I was a kid my Grandmother used to say to me, "Everyone loves the sound of their own name" so I have always tried to remember people's names as I am getting to know them at an event, seems to engage us more. Loving these strategies, useful across the board especially when managing complex mental health. Curiosity in others 🙂 Keen to hear more from you soon on this!

Wish it was as simple as you make out @Denv12 

Good steps for starters, but do not always work, for a bajillion of reasons.

In relation to the topic, I would like to recommend the book "Nonviolent Communication" by Marshall Rosenberg.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance