Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Going off alcohol

Thank you my old friend @Teej. Yes tomorrow is a new day. Another chance. Here's hoping I make the most of it.

Me too @utopia 💜🤗

edit not sure that made sense. I meant I hope we both get though without but it’s ok if we don’t  well keep trying.  Time for sleep me thinks. Brain fried now. Good luck. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Good advice @Teej. Don't beat yourself up but take the next day as a new start. Lifestyle changes take time. Baby steps. I'm keeping my alc intake low, lower than it was, so making progress, slowly. But I find it takes effort, planning how much I'll have to limit it. @utopia I don't care whether I'm addicted or not. It doesn't matter, those are just words. I'm just trying to improve in myself and find some kind of recovery (if that's even the right word). Self acceptance has been the biggest challenge for me, and I feel like I accept me and my mental illness much more these days. I learned some techniques at a group day program at my local hospital. It's helped enormously

Yesterday I had no alcohol. I didn't plan it that way. I just realized late in the afternoon that I hadn't had a drink yet. So decided to try and go the full day without any alcohol.
Today though is tough. Alcohol is all I can think of. I'm teary. I'm emotional. I'm restless and agitated.
Why does it have to be so hard.
I'm going to take a calming prn and hope that helps.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Self care is the way to go @utopia and it sounds like you know what you need to do to look after yourself. Hope you're feeling better soon.

hello @Former-Member , @utopia@Teej@NatalieS@Queenie@Kurra@pan@Makeitstop@Matt12@vic100@Fee1

we are finding it hard to stop , we ahve cut back but !!!!

how are you going xx

hello @Clawde Smiley Happy

Hi @Shaz51 .

Around January February this year i stopped drinking alcohol for about 3 months. Since then i will have an occassional drink. Maybe 1 or 2 a month. How did i do it?

I drank Bourbon and coke. I mix my own. Was cheaper. I just started reducing the amount of Bourbon i put in the glass. And kept reducing it.

In Jan/Feb i decided that the drink tasted awful and threw it out. So stopped just like that

The drinks i did pour before then were very weak.

I hope this helps someone else.

thanks @utopia , and way to go my friend 

I am drinking white wine because it is here and also because it masks the aches and pains 

finding it hard to cut back

@Former-Member, @Teej@NatalieS@Queenie , @Former-Member 

Former-Member
Not applicable

It is hard to cut back @Shaz51 🥰

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance