Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

cloudcore
Senior Contributor

Fear

Last fortnight we spoke about anger. We used the emotion wheel to help us explore how we feel anger, spoke about how anger shows up in our lives, and some of the ways that we cope when anger surfaces.

This fortnight, we are continuing the discussion of emotions by exploring our next emotion; fear. This is the orange section of the wheel: 

feelings-wheel.jpeg

Fear has an important role to play in keeping us safe and well. It’s an emotion that brings a strong bodily reaction and helps us to navigate many different situations in our lives. When we think about fear, ways we might describe the feeling of fear include “I feel scared”, “I feel anxious”, “I am overwhelmed” “I feel stressed” “I feel threatened” .

It’s our body’s inbuilt emotional barometer of how safe we feel.

Feeling fear

This emotion might be felt in different ways to other emotions, such as anger, and can impact many different systems in our body. Fear also might be associated with different behaviours. For example: when we feel fear, our body undergoes stress and we might feel our heart rate increase, our breathing change, or other bodily changes:

Picture 1.jpg

When we can identify how fear shows up for us, and some of the signs we might be experiencing fear, we can take steps to manage the emotion and our responses.

This discussion will talk about themes such as fear and stress, and topics that could be upsetting or triggering for those reading along. There are questions we have planned ahead of time to keep this conversation safe and constructive, but if at any time you feel distressed, you are welcome to reach out to our peer support or counselling services for additional support.

51 REPLIES 51
cloudcore
Senior Contributor

Re: Fear

Question 1:

What feelings on the emotion wheel do you most often experience when you are fearful? 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tagging members who have shown interest and participated in the emotions topics : @BlueBay @RedHorse @Arizona @SJT63 @Owen45 @Appleblossom @Eve7 @Bow @Snowie @Shaz51 @JungleGiants @BPDSurvivor @wellwellwellnez @NatureLover @Oaktree @Wattle3 @utopia @mum12 

BlueBay
Senior Contributor

Hi @cloudcore 

my emotions for fear are - 

scared 

abandoned 

anxious

high alert 

Oaktree
Senior Contributor

Hi @cloudcore 

My emotions for fear are;

scared - frightened 

anxious - worried 

insecure - inferior 

rejected - excluded 

threatened - nervous 

SJT63
Senior Contributor

@cloudcore thanks for the tag, I find these self-explorations both interesting and helpful.

Scared - - Helpless

Anxious - - Overwhelmed

Threatened - - Nervous

MIFANTCARER
Senior Contributor

Hi @cloudcore 

I think my answer will be rejected, worthless and excluded..

Thats what fear does to me.. I get paranoid that I am not good enough 

xx

Arizona
Senior Contributor

Question 1:

Scared, anxious, threatened, frightened, overwhelmed, worried, nervous, rejected, excluded, inferior, inadequate, worthless.

Also agitated, distressed, traumatised, hypervigilant, powerless (isn't on the wheel).

Also stuck, restrained, held back, repressed (not free or self expressed).

And most of all I think I'm a bad person and something bad is going to happen to me.

Hi @cloudcore 

I have felt overwhelmed, rejected and/or excluded, worthless at times. 

RedHorse
Senior Contributor

Q1. The feelings I experience most often when fearful are anxious, overwhelmed and worried and threatened, nervous and exposed.

@cloudcore 

utopia
Senior Contributor

Scared and terrified have been my main feelings since my Trauma, my panic attacks, etc.

But since going into remission, I notice the original feelings of fear I have had since childhood. These are Rejection, weak and Insecure. So I am back to dealing with these original feelings.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance