Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Former-Member
Not applicable

Everything Hiking

Hello All,

@Former-Memberand me found our common love for hiking yesterday. Though we are both a bit rusty, we love hiking and thought to start a thread for everyone who loves hiking.

I used to love hiking through the Alpes (Switzerland, Germany, France, Italy) and off the beaten track in NSW. There are still so many places I would love to hike and Tasmania is one of them and @Zoe7 knows all about them tracks.

For @Former-Member here two photos from the old days (early 90s), not digital... somewhere between Switzerland and France on a 7 day hike. We arrived at one hut (middle of summer) and had shorts on, and woke the next day and everything was covered in snow!

Pict0096.JPG

Pict0003.JPG

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Everything Hiking

@Former-Member There are so many beautiful tracks to walk in Tassie. I must admit - the most 'hiking' I do atm is to the toilet and back lol

There is a beautiful track that runs along the hills above the beach I go to with Toby - and dogs are allowed on that track too so that is why I use it. It is so gorgeous walking amongst the native flora and being able to look over the beach and ocean at the same time - it really is quite beautiful. I haven't been able to even take Toby for a walk on the beach for weeks - I can't physically do it and I need to stay out of the cold - but when I have regained some strength I am looking forward to walking both the beach and the track again. Maybe one day I will meet a cute little meerkat on my journey Smiley Happy

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Zoe7I hope you will soon regain some strength to do little walks. And don't worry if you only walk down to the water and back or only 100m on the track and then rest and go back. Baby steps are ok. I tell you that and at the same time tell myself. I have lost fitness and am probably at the lowest fitness point in my life (so far). It stops me from joining my friends on long walks or hikes, but I decided, I go out and enjoy the sunshine and look at the pretty colours and walk as slowly as I want. The race is over.

@Former-Member my biggest issue is not so much my loss of fitness it is the constant fatigue and physical reactions to both the meds and PTSD - it is just going to take time and the more I come to terms with that and am able to recognise and understand the patterns - the better I will be able to manage each day and eventually start doing little things like going to the beach for short walks.

Wow @Former-Member, those pictures are absolutely gorgeous!! Such crisp photo quality for pre-digi-age Smiley HappySmiley Happy

I’ve not done many hikes myself, but I went on an amazing afternoon trek through the Nightcap National park a few months ago – just so beautiful. It was really special out there. And @Zoe7 I’ve also done some travelling through Tassie, just such a beautiful and lush place to go hiking. I’m jealous!

Hellloooo @Scout, @Former-Member, @Zoe7, @Fancy_Pants 

This photo is the walking track at cradle mountainin Tasmania

cradle mountan.jpg

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance