Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

DDK
Casual Contributor

A Policy Suggestion for a Possible Campaign

I'm posting to get some feedback on an idea that has been bouncing around in my skullspace for awhile. I'm not sure if this has been done before or it's something that was considered and rejected or if it's a good idea or bad idea or what, so putting it out there to see what the general consensus is on it.

The idea is pretty simple. A mandatory minimum percentage of bulk-billable clients/hours for any psychologist and psychiatrist in Australia.

One of the biggest problems I've seen come up over the last couple of years with people seeking help is the expense. Unless I'm mistaken, every psychiatrist or psychologist in this country has a choice of whether or not they want to bulk-bill a particular client and they have some amount per year or something that they're allowed to do so, but on the whole there's no requirement or minimum and most choose not to.

This seems entirely counter to the professions ostensible goals given that the people who are most vulnerable and in need of help also have a higher likelihood of being unable to afford to get that help.

If this does end up being a good idea, I'd make an effort to pursue it further, but I don't know what I don't know so, help me know?

27 REPLIES 27

Re: A Policy Suggestion for a Possible Campaign

Hi @DDK and welcome to SANE! 

A really interesting question, and one that I am sure that would be beneficial to make people who are struggling to access support at a cost that is reasonable and possible. 

I am looking forward to hearing thoughts from the community!

I might tag some of our members who are really interested in advocacy and systemic change and share their ideas for mental health system improvements here on the Forums @wellwellwellnez @Appleblossom @HenryX @AussieRecharger @chibam @frog @TAB @MDT @Anastasia @Zoe7. Please feel free to tag others as well 🙂

..umm ..yeah, but what about prevention rather than a scheme where govt would be subsidising psychs? I think ( could be wrong) can get like 10 free visits or mostly free under medicare if get referral from GP ?

..I would like to see more people in secure housing, not in danger, who can pay bills, not suffer from cold in winter and heat in summer ?

Current govt likes to beat their chest saying 2% of GDP goes to Defence .. seems a Lot of that just ends up in pockets of MPs, ex-MPs and consultants, like the $5.5billion spent on Nothing in the name of buying submarines etc etc 

How many houses would that buy ??

or the $250 a week paid to Andrew Forrest for each person on Indue Card ? or evil Jobsearch providers collecting $200 plus for every time they demand to see you, not that They actually Do anything.. 

..So .. my MH Plan would be build 10,000 public houses a year say and put govt payments up at least another $100/wk .. saves money on Prisons ($125,000 per person per year charged to taxpayer) and psych staff, hospitals, ok Sane, the costs of Depression etc etc 

Bit hard to function in the System while  being punished by ...the System ..... 

@DDK @Daisydreamer  🙂

> I think ( could be wrong) can get like 10 free visits or mostly free under medicare if get referral from GP ?

Yes, but only if the clinic chooses to bulk bill, and there aren't a lot who do. Not only that, but the entire scheme is actually a little insidious as it's almost entirely based on whether or not the GP, someone who is utterly unqualified to make such judgements, decides to implement it. On top of that, the psychologist who they refer you to writes a report after the first six visits which the GP reads and then decides whether or not to approve the last four.

I don't really want my GP reading or even knowing about my psychological profile. Especially not when they have grossly inappropriate and outdated knowledge and zero requirement to keep up to date (yes, I've experienced this, actually quite a few times across several clinics and GP's).

It's a very paternalistic and patronising system that effectively acts as yet another barrier to access. And that's ultimately my point when it comes to having a mandatory minimum: the lowering of barriers to access MHC.

@DDK 

Mandatory minimum for bulk billing is a wonderful idea. 

Make it a big percentage at least 50%.

Clear, simple and not a lot of extra paperwork.

I have never been impressed with them charging a gap fee.

I also see benefit in @TAB 's post.  Public housing before prisons.

Thx for tag @Daisydreamer 

Lots of very interesting perspectives here @Appleblossom @DDK @TAB

It really demonstrates to me the breadth of issues that we need to address systemically to ensure better access. 

I look forward to continue reading the conversation and perspectives. 

Thank you for raising this important topic @DDK

Hey @DDK I like the way you're thinking. Personally I'm all in for new bulk-billing options and have a bunch of questions and variables in my head when it comes to the mandate side.

I don't know the full policy but The Greens have plans mapped out for mental health bulk billing. They focus maybe a bit more on dental but I've seen them spruke dental and mental right next to each other as well. Not sure of their plan details or how they compare to other parties though.

Really generally I think we need to fix up the NDIS and simultaneously build accessible therapies for general population (which would also hugely benefit the NDIS (which would also hugely benefit the general population)). Humanism meets post-keynesian economics. That's my big picture position.

Lovin' this thread. It's great to part of a bigger and important voice.

From my vantage point, so-called 'mental illness' is a man-made phenomenon. So very much wrong with these many government and medical systems @TAB which all serve their own kind. Unconscionable and unaccountable. 

I thoroughly agree re GPs reading reports from therapists @DDK. I'd like to know what they say because it would help me to assess the therapist's competence. It always changes the way GPs treat me. I like to be judged on my own merit, not on what some other individual says. 

Hi @Historylover I have No Idea what the current MH Status Quo is.. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance