Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

-Rayne-
Senior Contributor

work stress

I haven't been on these forums in a long time. About 18 months ago I got a new and really intense job - long hours, very stressful - and that absorbed me. I was diagnosed with DID a while ago but I figured it was a mistake because all my symptoms disappeared. I had been drinking heavily for about 4 years before I got the job but it got really out of control in that job. I decided to go to rehab for alcohol addiction in December.

About a week and a half after I detoxed, my PTSD and dissociation went nuts, like really bad. I thought that I was over all that but it turns out that it was just covered by the alcohol. So now I'm trying to work out what to do. Looking at the options of going back to rehab for an extended time versus dealing with all this out here is complicated enough but I've also found that I'm unable to do my job anymore. The thought of it makes me panic. I'm on sick leave currently but have to log onto my computer and do a few things and when I do, or even when I think about doing it, my anxiety goes through the roof. It's like suddenly I can't handle any stress at all. I really can't see how I can go back to the job. 

I spent years on Centrelink as a single parent and thought I'd put that behind me. I really don't want to go back to that but everyone is recommending an extended period in rehab, followed by extended periods of therapy etc. etc. Half of me thinks now is the time to face what I've been avoiding for decades and I need to do it. The other half thinks that I can switch to another job, or even just knuckle down to the same job, and all of this will go back in its box and be fine. The indecision is driving me nuts but there's anxiety whichever way I go. 

I guess I just wanted to put this out there. Thanks for the space. Comments are welcome but I know I just have to make a decision.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: work stress

@-Rayne- Hey -Rayne- good to see you back :). I have a similar dillema not involving a job so to speak but a life situation which I find myself in from my past which I cannot get past. I have been literally putting it in a box in my mind for it to raise its nasty head again ..... the logical side of me says to deal with it finally and let all the cards fall where they may. Where the illogical side of me says hang on this will be ugly do nothing and say nothing ..... pretend it never happened and it will go away by itself .... of course it wont these things have to be dealt with sooner rather than later.

So my friend imho I would say go into rehab and do the therapy. It will help you more than a high pressure job which causes you to drink due to stress.

I hope this helps. Facing the truth is a hard thing but has to be done to move on. Love greenpeaxx

thanks @greenpea . it really annoys me the way i second guess everything and can never make a decision.

my first stint in rehab opened my eyes to the fact that some people think it's ok to just do what you need to do for yourself, and not anyone else. but knowing what's good for you isn't easy either.

@-Rayne-  none of it is easy my friend. Just remember your friends on Sane are here for you every step of the way :)x

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance