Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

BlueBay
Senior Contributor

Tragedy QLD family

I'm really struggling with that horrible tragedy of the Queensland family. 
I can't stop crying. I feel so deeply for the poor children and their mum. 
I keep visualising whst the poor kids were doing obviously crying screaming. 
I just feel very very sad. 😢😢

22 REPLIES 22

Re: Tragedy QLD family

me too, frightening and awful. 

Hi @BlueBay and @Millieme 
Hearing such a distressing story about these deaths has been upsetting for many. Please be gentle with yourselves at this time and do what you need to do to care for yourselves. You may be interested in reading an article from the SANE Blog about Coping with Distressing News Events 

Readers who have been impacted by family violence, or are currently experiencing family violence themselves, might also consider contacting the service below.

1800RESPECT
Telephone Counselling 1800 737 732
Online Counselling via website
24-hours a day, seven days a week
www.1800respect.org.au  
National Sexual Assault, Domestic and Family Violence Counselling Service for people living in Australia

Take care all.

Thankyou @Eucalypt 

With you @BlueBay. Not a lot of words with this but a lot of feelings. Hugging my babies extra tight.

😔

Me too. Feeling this deeply. @CheerBear @BlueBay @Millieme @Eucalypt 

Former-Member
Not applicable

I know what you mean @BlueBay @Maggie @CheerBear @Millieme ... such a tragic end for them all.  As well as the poor people who tried to assist them.  This will stay with them for life.

I saw an interview with a friend of the Mum who died, she is a professional DV counsellor as I  understand it.  

She said that the Mum didnt realise she was the victim of DV ... because the husband had not been physically violent. Initially it had been emotional abuse and controlling behaviour.  Thats the thing with so many people, we dont actually realise until its pointed out to us.  It certainly makes me feel that bit more insecure, to think that it can escalate so quickly into the tragic situation that evolved in QLD.   So so sad.  RIP little ones, and your Mum too. I hope the Dad rots in hell.

Sherry 😢💔

I've found this very hard to process. Those poor kids. No one deserves such a fate. Also the poor kid who died after being left in the childcare van. Awful, I've had to ban myself from news sites for a little bit. Extra hugs for my daughter this week 😢💜

This is going to be one of those longer posts that I don't expect anyone to necessarily read but I need to get it out myself.

Until this evening I have felt numb to the tragedy of the Mum and her 3 kids in QLD. Most of that has been self preservation and the utter disbelief that not only has this happened but again another woman (and her kids) have had their life taken because of a narcisistic, controlling and abusive man.

When will we as a society finally say enough is enough and our judicial system catch up to the facts of life? An AVO is 'just' a piece of paper - it does not stop a perpetrator inflicting harm if that is what they intend to do and it does not protect women and children from that harm. How many times do we hear that governments and organisations are needing to get tougher on DV without there actually being anything done to follow through with that. We have organisations out there to help once abuse has been inflicted upon an individual but what anout the perpetrator - so often they are given a slap on the wrist and sent back out into society to inflict even more harm. It should not be the repsonsibility of the victim to keep themselves safe - to give up everything they hold dear to do that - and worse still to put into place for themselves measures to avoid being anywhere the perpetrator can 'get to them'. 

This recent tragedy highlights just how hard it is to get out from under that control and abuse. Victims of DV do not want to be in that situation but there is a very real fear that leaving will lead to worse than they have already endured. The ultimate 'punishment' for that tragically is what we have just seen - death. The fear of that for so many is very real. I have heard people so why do they not just get out - but it is not that easy. It is ard enough when a woman is on their own but when kids are involved and used as a bargaining tool it becomes even harder.

A mother will do anything they have to to protect their kids. This case highlights that with the emotional and sexual abuse that she endured for so very long so the kids father would not turn his anger onto them. ...and to the world he portrayed himself as a loving father and partner - wearing that mask to the outside world whilst behind close doors he was a controlling, manipualting and abusive. I can not call him a man because he does not deserve to be recognised as such. 

This has of course been very triggering for me - on several fronts. It has brought back the abusive childhood I had at the hands of my father but more poignantly the years of abuse I suffered from my ex. I know how hard it is to 'get out' and the fear I faced every day even thinking of that. I also know the doing what I was told was the safest place to be. When I did decide enough was enough and found a litte courage to voice that the relationship was over the consequences for me were nearly the same. Fortunately I survived but that was only by pure luck than by design. The actions of my ex nearly ended my life so to hear what happened to this beautiful woman and her children has certainly brought back a lot - but mostly what I am feeling is deep sadness and disdain that we as a society continue to let this happen.... enough is enough and if we as victims, woman, men, government, the judicial system and society do not stand up against such violence then it will continue to happen - violence in any form is NOT okay and the senseless loss of innocent lives needs to stop. Smiley Sad

Hugs @Zoe7. I'm so glad you are safe. Take extra care of yourself xx

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance