Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Flower88
Senior Contributor

Toxic

I just decided I block my mother out of my life for now due to multiple reasons. It started 3 years ago when she kept asking me some questions about me having life insurance and has asked me about it 3 times, then she had a falling out with  brother and sister n law  as well as my cousin. There were things on both sides that happened so not blaming my mother entirely. She hasn't had a good past so can be quite blunt and speak out of terms, I have got sick and tired of her dripping her past down into everyone else and said she needs help, I'm empethetic with her as I know what her parents put her through. She also keeps buying me stuff since this and I'm concerned that's her way of guilt tripping me or just not wanting me to leave. I have had panic attacks and anxiety happen since all of this started 3 years ago right from the life insurance to this.... My personal health is going down the drain. I'm mentally struggling and have alot of physical issues I have not had before this. Today I have decided no more and to block her as it's gotten to the point where I can't live my life properly anymore. I dont feel safe around her and her partner since the life insurance thing was brought up... I don't know if it's paranoia or a gut feeling. 

3 REPLIES 3
greenpea
Senior Contributor

Re: Toxic

@Flower88  Hey Flower88 it does sound that you are doing the right thing. I am a firm believer in following your gut feeling. Whenever I hear that little voice on my shoulder talking to me I listen. greenpeax

BryanaCamp
Senior Contributor

hey @Flower88 well done. You gotta put your needs first.

My mother is a bit different to yours in that she abused and tortured me from birth till when I left home at 18yrs. She's a sociopath with no remorse and very dangerous to my well-being. She's getting on to be elderly these days so has finally stopped stalking me. Any contact with her triggers my psychotic symptoms.

It's not easy having a bad mother who exploits your vulnerabilities to your own detriment. I find it very alienating and isolating. I can't tell any of my friends as they all come from loving families. I have no one who understands me, certainly no one who supports me with the straim my mother causes. Due to all that peer pressure I've often doubted my sanity & if she's dangerous. I agree with @greenpea believe your gut - if you feel deep down she's dangerous to your health & well being, you're right. Stay away from her, go no contact.

Try to move on with your life without her. Try to spend time with other people instead who are safe.

frog
Community Elder

Hey @Flower88 thinking of you.

I'm with @greenpea on this. Trust yourself. Self care first.

You are not making a rash decision here - it's been 3 years in the making.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance