Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Together...

I have found for me at least the nature of my illness requires me to be with someone.  When I lost my first wife to divorce I had my family, mom and dad, and grandfather.  Now I have my partner in life who also has mental illness and together we take care of each other in a  beautiful way.  I cannot imagine life alone.  Does anyone here find living alone easier?  Does anyone here have my sad need for socialization or feeling absolutely lost?  How do you feel?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Together...

Hello there @Former-Member. I consider myself socially awkward, so people have to know me exceptionally well before I come out of my shell so to speak. Having said that, I've been alone in the past and not done very well at all. I did a Myers-Briggs test once and discovered I'm extroverted (believe it or not), so I get energy and feel energized from others. I think I need companionship in my life, otherwise I am a bit lost too. I just need to learn to open up to my Mrs about what happens for me so that I am not completely lost and battling on alone. 

utopia
Senior Contributor

@Former-Member. I'm on my own. It gets very lonely at times. And I wish I had a partner. But no partner is far better than being with the wrong one.

@Former-Member I live alone, and I'm with @utopia  No partner is better than the wrong one. I think there is both good and bad in living alone and with others. Sometime no space, other times too much scarce. I'm very introverted, so being alone might be easier, but there are times I just like being around others even if I'm not involved.

Former-Member
Not applicable

@utopiaI totally agree. I had a fiance between my first wife and my current partner who was DEFINITELY the wrong partner. She gas lit me. Then canceled the wedding two weeks out on facebook.  So I could not agree more that it is extremely important that the partner be the right one.

utopia
Senior Contributor

Wow @Former-Member. She was harsh. You were lucky in the end. But ouch, that must have been devastating at the time.
Former-Member
Not applicable

It was a wonderful thing.  She was evil and cruel and getting away from her was one of the luckiest best things that have ever happened to me.  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance