Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Whiteknight
Senior Contributor

The good samaritan

I'm an athiest, however, I read the bible twice about 30 years ago as part of my soul seeking and openmindedness. There was many quotes in the bible I liked one of which is "The good samaritan" and how I could implement that quote as value in my life. I want to share that with you now hoping you will benefit.

Luke 25-37

“A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, attacked him and went away, leaving him half dead.  A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side.  So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side.  But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him.  He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. The next day he took out two denarii[c] and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

“Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”

Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”

Now, what caught my eye was that the priest passed by on the other side of the road!! This told me to be wary of anyone in a position of social power, Government figures and family authoritarians. The other thing was the attitude of the good samaritan. Where could his deeds benefit that man? He is out of pocket for caring for that poor man, he has spent time, a valuable thing nowadays and he has maybe risked persecution from robber that injured the beggar.

Firstly, the reason we are her eon this earth, I believe, is to give love and care. What more important deed is there? To fulfill that is to cleanse yourself regularly as a human being. Kindness can also be visually illusive. We often dont know how kind others can be, we can work beside them for years, we can talk regularly to our neighbours without knowing their own experiences years earlier because with humility comes silence. It is only when they are in your company that you feel their warmth and humanity or in a situation needing first aid or such that we see their true colours.

Having a good samaritan attitude to life also introduces a "feel good" experience to ourselves. This is why people do voluntary work. Does it come at a price? What are the negatives that could impact upon you? Well ther eis the fact you have to work with people which as we know can be challenging with various personalities, self elevation of importance (ego) and capitalising on your hard work by them doing less. All these things have to be weighed up but you can always leave.

The good things are- you are connecting with other people that are likeminded. Overall they are kind just like you. You'll share a cuppa and a chat and you'll take interest in the items going through the store and how those items can assist a family in need. It will give you a reason to rise in the morning and...you just might get a friend or two out of the experience.

It will also assist your recovery. You will get that feel good feeling. You will fulfill that basic human number one reason we are here in life. The humility of doing these deeds is self assuring, we dont have to advertise our deeds, we can just do it. To just be a "Good Samaritan" is a joyous action that counters evil in our world. It will make you feel happier.

sam.jpg

WK

2 REPLIES 2
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: The good samaritan

Never a truer word said. It makes me happy to make others happy. What lead me to volunteer to help others was knowing what it is like to suffer greatly myself and what the an act compassion can do to change a person's life. Suddenly a small act of kindness lit up my whole world when I was ill - something I have never forgotten and learned the value of. And how the latter was becoming so rare in the world - no wonder mental health world wide is declining....

So I promised myself if I got through my breakdown I would go out and help fill that void out there. It does reflect the values of the interesting bible passage you quoted @Whiteknight but for me it was having suffered the way I did together with faith that led me to the work I am doing today. It came with life experience and wanting to give back. It does come with challenges as you mentioned, but the contentment and wonderful feeling you get when someone expresses their genuine gratitude for the help you have given them is priceless. There is not a fulfillment like it that I have experienced.

People dont see that inherent worth they have within them to touch and change a person's life and the world for the better - to do their bit to make someone's life a bit brighter. It feels others with hope, hope for the future.

One can believe or not believe - it's in the heart of love and giving that makes the difference in others lives and their own.  In those values we unite. That is what I have experienced. When all do give just a little - together this becomes a flame. When others don't care - it the consequences are the world become a bit colder - if most don't care it can become a living hell. So all have an important part to play. I hav never seen this clearer before in my life. It connects one to the other in a way that nothing else can.

Re: The good samaritan

@Former-Member
Yes, you're right. Helping others gives you euphoria, a reason to live. Thankyou
WK
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance