Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: The Fear of Dying Alone

@TheVorticon 

Thanks for the message, sorry if my response seems a little short but I am not sure what else I can add.

My style of communication requires seeing my body language. You will see that I am not as angry as my words seem to be. I am just cynical with this world and hate the fake and vapid nature of it all. However, I take your point though and I am considering it for now. I'll see how I navigate this downward spiral for now because I still need and crave some form of connection.

I am aware of Jordan Peterson. My gripe with him is that on some issues he can say some things that I totally agree with. However, his views on religion and politics makes me facepalm. He can be very disingenuous and has a habit of dodging questions with word salads. Also, for someone who despises post-modernism, he does make a habit of trying to redefine certain terms such as the idea of god. I seriously think if he is the best spokesman we have for young men's health, then we have to do A LOT better at advocating for it. I just don't take the guy seriously enough anymore.

Hey @TheRenegade345  I am on the fence with Peterson too! He is very intelligent but ultimately yes he has some pretty narrow views, agreed. How are you travelling today?

Hey @Ali11 

I do like The Beatles. My earliest musical memories are listening to Let It Be on our old stereo that we used to have. In late 2017 I went and saw Paul McCartney with my dad when he toured Melbourne. My favourite album is a tight one, but it is Revolver. 

Social media is flawed because humanity is flawed. I don't think we should be surprised at how it is failing a lot of people and giving voice to others who just crave attention. It is also not a natural way of meeting others, particularly when it comes to dating. 

I am currently working on exposure therapy which is being exposed to anything that has to do with relationships. I also believe I have confidence, particularly in myself, in that I have values and principles and I know what I want from life. My communication skills are developing and I am trying to promote this part of me which is that I have a good sense of humour.

Hey @nashy 

Yeah I think a lot of people are coming around to that.

I am really tired actually. I don't feel great either.

Hi @TheRenegade345

That's cool that you've been aware of Jordan Peterson for awhile. Thanks for letting me know that you don't find him all that helpful, and sorry I don't have better ideas or have anything else to offer really.

I've only just been introduced to JP so I'm still getting to understand what he's on about. I'm not into politics or religion at all, and I've had a 12 year break from thinking critically about literature etc. so I'm approaching his stuff from a place of interest and curiosity to see what, if anything, I can gain from it or if anything prompts me to research and form my own opinions.

I'm both amused and hurt to see that the staff on this thread have illustrated my point about myself vs. these forums so well - they've posted to you about a topic in your reply to me but not acknowledged my existence. Then in other threads there's other people posting about how inclusive they find the place. It's either laugh or cry at this point.

Anyway... Sorry to read that you're not feeling great. What did you get up to today?

Humour is a great skill to develop @TheRenegade345, what sort of resources are you using to help with that? How was your day today? 

We're sorry to hear that you don't find the forums inclusive @TheVorticon. Your badge shows you are a senior contributor, how long have you been on here? 

Researching both points of view is a great way to come to an educated opinion, what are you currently interested in? 

Hey @TheVorticon @Ali11 

I think it’s great you are getting involved with these kinds of conversations @TheVorticon. Regardless of how you will eventually feel about Peterson, he does debate a lot of other interesting people on the left and the right. I’m sure you’ll come to find someone who is an interesting point of view. 

Im also sorry to hear how you feel you have been treated here. I think it’s hard, as I can relate, because support can vary here. I find it hard sometimes to remember that. 

To answer both of you, I got an assignment done today but I feel stuck socially. I get stuck at home all the time

Getting an assignment done today is something that should be celebrated @TheRenegade345! University or TAFE is hard to navigate socially, typically people tend to keep to themselves unless you join a club. How much longer do you have to study? 

Thanks for your replies @Ali11 and @TheRenegade345 however I'm not here to take over the thread with my garbage where it's not organically pertinent to the discussion at hand.
Hope you both are having a good Anzac Day.
See ya around.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance