Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Queenie
Community Elder

Tactile hallucinations?

In my past, I have a history of tactile hallucinations (that is, feeling like something is touching me or feel like things are crawling on me when there isn't). After about 10 years, today they came back. I don't know why or how, but I can literally feel things crawling on my arms and legs and back. I've been reality checking each time I feel it, but the thing is, it's pretty constant and because I'm constantly stuck between two worlds right now, I'm exhausted. I managed to pull out some study and finish an assessment and I just now feel physically and emotionally exhausted.

Does anyone out there in forum land have experience of tactile hallucinations, or, does anyone know if some sort of unusual experience like a hallucination can suddenly come back like this? I appreciate your thoughts on this matter.

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Tactile hallucinations?

Hi @Queenie
I don't suffer from this but wanted to say I feel for you
Take care
BB XX

hey @Queenie ive experienced things like that- i think mine are called impicit flashbacks though. often mine comes around more when im stressed- maybe thats whats happening for you too? i try to focus on another sense like smelling candles or my oil infuser, listening to music and focussing on the words and intruments. something to take away what im feeling physically. 

have you tried that before?

Thanks for hearing me @BlueBay, it's much appreciated.

@outlander, I just ended up having a herbal tea and smelling it as I drank it (it was lemongrass and ginger). It didn't take the experience away but, like you said, it gave me something to focus on. 

My hallucinations are part and parcel of the schizoaffective element of my life. I did think that they had passed with the years (especially the tactile). I'm not sure why they are back, most probably as a response to stress. Not sure, I guess it is possible as I've been under a lot of pressure of late.

I'm thinking of doing practical things like harm minimisation in the off chance it is needed. It might be something to mention to my doctor too, as we were aiming on reducing or changing meds so weight gain wasn't as big an issue as it is me presently. 

they can be really hard to deal with @Queenie i think its worth meantioning to your gp for sure. it might be  because of the med changes- could even be a side effect? do you think that might be possible?

maybe something to keep your mind and hands busy like a puzzle- even on phone- i have those, or some other game, maybe some colouring in or drawing?

It's quite possible that it is a side effect @outlander or stress. I'm refusing to look upon this as a possible "relapse" though, rather just a reaction to a usual occurrence. 

Thats a good way to look at it @Queenie
Former-Member
Not applicable

I have never had tactile hallucinations but I have had strange types of hallucinations.  Specifically, I was riding my bike down the street one day and smelled natural gas sulfur egg smell.  I called emergency services because it smelled really strong and I didn't want an explosion.  When they arrived I still smelled it but they did not.  They thought I had pranked them but I kept insisting so they realized I must be hallucinating it.  It was scary.  That only happened once in my life back when I was a kid then it happened again when I was 23.  So I sympathize with having exotic hallucinations.  I hope you feel better.

We have this sometimes. Severely messes with our day!  (understatement - ya'll should laugh now)

Just be upfront with your team. Whatever the cause is, it's easiest addressed earlier than later. 

Take good care. It's okay. - Regn

@Queenie Hi Queenie Have been meaning to post on this thread for a lil while  I had one  extreme tactile hallucination which too over my whole body and it felt like warm sparkles and tinsel. When I told my pdoc about it he upped my medication and I havent had one since ... (mores the pity as it felt great :)).

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance