Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Ofred
Casual Contributor

Struggling with this unrelenting constant cycle

Although I was diagnosed approx 15 or so years ago, it’s only been in recent years that I’ve found a good team of professionals and experts to offer support, advice & care.
These last 8 months have been so challenging as I’ve found I’ll have worrying manic times for a week or two then fall into a depression, in bed, sleeping for days on end. Then the cycle continues.
I definitely feel that my sleep & work commitments are contributing.
I work part time, though long hours & early starts. I’ve started studying also.
The mania I can just manage (I’m medicated but generally stop when I’m depressed, which I know doesn’t help either) I’m so productive... it’s great especially when I think of all the days I’ve been in bed.
It’s the depression that I find challenging, overcoming that, finding the will to make that first step, that first movement out of bed...out of the house.
I’ve attempted various things, I don’t have a strong social circle, I’ll attend activities in the community and attempt to have things to look forward to. I’m creative and will often have projects I’m working on, but even so that’s not enough of a motivatior at times.
A walking group or something like that would be great, but I haven’t had much luck in the area.
I generally function, managing to attend work etc but this week for the first time in ages I missed school & work.
So I guess I’m looking for suggestions...

I’ve hoped to attend a support group but haven’t been able to with work commitments...hopefully in the future

Thanks in advance

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Struggling with this unrelenting constant cycle

Hi @Ofred

Welcome to the forums 🙂 sounds like things are really hard at the moment. I havent had experience with mania, but lots of forum members here have described it as being really hard. I do have toooo much experience with depression though and can relate 😞 your work/study commitments sound like lots of work. Are you enjoying your studies at all though?

I struggle to keep up with my work/life commitments i guess but they also force me in some ways to keep funcitoning. without the pressing responsibility i feel i'd probably just give up, so in a way im grateful. 

I'm not so good with the advice, specially at the moment as it would feel kind of hypocritical... (in a bit of a hole at the moment!) but seems as though you are really looking forward and out around you for what you need, which is a good thing. 

Take care of you

Hi @Ofred I've had a diagnosis of 12 years + the lead up and onset. I been through with a bit of mania (among other things ) during this time. And it is a tricky and cunning thing to properly understand. Also truly draining to go through. Just wanted to let you know I'm with you in thought and hope it gets better. I find that a quiet place too sit, reflect and meditate can help. Plus making the most of the good moments in between time. (It can sometimes be easy to forget about the small but good things that we can do for ourselves ) i try to accept the rest of it as best i can and not let it get the better of me.

eudemonism

Hi @Former-Member,
I can relate to my commitments keeping me in check too, without them, even though they’re demanding, I’d be at a loss & I’d experience deeper depression. I’m much better busier...
Hope your days brighten soon, take care

Hello @Ofred

It is nice to meet you, I don't think we have met before 🙂

It is good you are trying to find some different ways of managing your depression symptoms such as feeling less motivation and finding it difficult to sometimes get of the bed and house, which impacts your social circle. It sounds like you have tried quite a few things in the past which is good, but there are some other threads that discuss similar things you might like to read through:

There is a great thread by @oceangirl called Regaining my spark as well as another great thread by @phoenixprophet called Tips on managing your situation

I look forward to getting to know you better

Lunar

Nice to meet you too @Lunar, I’ll definitely check those out once I have a moment, thanks, much appreciated

Hi @eudemonism,
Thanks for the advice, I think you’re right about trying to focus on the good things, even the little things...thanks for the thoughts & the advice, much appreciated:)
Ofred

No worries @Ofred sometimes i think that nobody really cares or wants to hear about what i got too say. When in actual fact. It is coming from a prospective that's been on a journey of recovering from mental illness. I feel for the mentally ill...
Eude
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance