Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

JKK
Contributor

Still struggling

Im still struggling. Had a few good days but fell and wiped myself out with alcohol three days in a row. I hate doing that and I know its damaging me. We look every day for somewhere else to live as we feel like prisoners in this home with the owners giving us no rights as tennants.

I feel at times im going crazy. I have to break this self destructive cycle im in.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Still struggling

it’s okay to have bad days as long as you keep trying 😊😊  identify your triggers always helps  , never give up trying to give up you haven’t failed stay strong 💪 

My sympathy cannot help your very difficult situation but I wish it could.., I do understand the temptation to drink too much when things are so tough for you.—- I’ve been there a bit myself.
Hopefully one day changes will be made to sort out a fairer balance between landlord and tenants. But right now I just hope that your situation can improve and you can find strength and some
positive experiences.

@still struggling
My sympathy cannot help your very difficult situation but I wish it could.., I do understand the temptation to drink too much when things are so tough for you.—- I’ve been there a bit myself.
Hopefully one day changes will be made to sort out a fairer balance between landlord and tenants. But right now I just hope that your situation can improve and you can find strength and some
positive experiences.

Hi @JKK 

Sorry to hear of your suffering. I too, live in a property which I am renting but at present can not even save enough for new bond and move to something much nicer. It definitely brings me down looking at the property and how the owner does the absolute bare minimum to maintain property. I am getting on my treadmill now to distract myself and get endorphins up. It has helped. I am trying to lose weight too. I seriously detest my size. Look after you. Unfortunately the alcohol as I know worsens depression. For me it's practicing self care and distraction. 

Hi @JKK ...I'm sorry to hear of your struggle as tenants...I'm a tenant too so I know how impossibly hard the rental market is. I will send wishes for you that you can find somewhere else soon. 🤞

@JKK wrote:

I feel at times im going crazy. I have to break this self destructive cycle im in.

I'm wondering, do you have any professional support? Like a psychologist or counsellor? Or help battling alcohol, if you want that?

A handy forum tip is if you type @ and then click on a name in the drop-down box, that person will get a notification and won't miss your reply.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and well wishes. 

We live in a small rural town with just 1 Dr. It would just cost too much to travel a 2 hr car drive back and forwards to see a health professional in a larger town. I do still see my Dr from the town we used to live in now and then, thats a 50 min drive there and back. But there are no psychologists or anything like that there either. 

I still see that Dr as we want to move back there eventually and if you leave that practice you don't get back in, they stopped taking new patients there 3 yrs ago. 

I'll take everyone's advice here on board. 

Thanks.

@Paulette 

Thanks. Its depressing when others affect your life like lousy landlords. We were promised the World before moving in and delivered like you the bare minimum. 90% of things we were told, forget about it, were empty words. I hope you find a better place too. Have you checked to see if you qualify for bond assistance through the Govt? We may so will apply for it when we find another place. I doubt we will get it back from here as they seem that type of people now. 

Yeah I got to lose a bit of weight myself. Was told to for an upcoming operation I have to have which to be honest terrifies me the thought of. 

All the best. 

Hi @JKK ,

Thankyou for your message. I do wish a much nicer place for you becomes available It does bring you down. I pray every day that through a miracle we can find something better. 

I have had chronic arthritis in lower back and other places for years. I do need the weight off. I'm thinking how much better I'll feel, look and get rid of some chronic pain. I know I've got to climb onboard the treadmill and keep the routine, though work can drain me. A little every day. I was feeling a bit flat when I started excercise yesterday but happy endorphins made a difference 5 minutes into starting. My back pain wasn't so bad. I do hope things improve and you can proceed to surgery. I get quite anxious about surgery too. Can you get some counselling to help you? Have a great day and take care. 

@Paulette 

Hi. I have the same problem with my lower back. I was diagnosed with the exact same thing several months ago. I have 2 benign tumours on my neck, but its the size they say can turn bad and it is causing me problems with nerves. They are surrounded by veins and ligaments which freaks me out the thought of being cut open there. Good luck with getting fit and finding a better place.

Thanks.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance