Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Self harming

Hi Everyone

Just wanted to ask if anyone wants to talk about it what other ways do you cope instead of self harming?

43 REPLIES 43

Re: Self harming

Hi @Former-Member I think there are probably quite a lot of techniques you could use instead of self-harming. I've only self-harmed a couple of times in my life, although sometimes the urge is there. When I was last in hospital, I was lucky enough to attend a workshop on coping instead of harming yourself. Some of the techniques I got from them are below:

* Exercise... vigorous exercise can boost endorphins (the feel-good chemical released by the brain). Say to yourself I will take a walk/run/workout instead.

* Distraction techniques... find something you enjoy. It could be listening to music, a movie you enjoy, a hobby and say before I harm myself I will try to do this instead.

* Draw on yourself in red pen. For those who feel like harming themselves sometimes, this can help by drawing on yourself in the places you'd like self-harm.

* Talking it out... you can always call a helpine and talk out the emotions behind the self-harm. You can contact SANE 1800 18 7263 (or helpine chat tab above). Lifeline 13 1114 etc.

* Sleep... if you are tired, worn out and struggling with emotions. Why not try a nap?

* Mindfulness... try a guided mindfulness meditation. There are plenty of free apps to download these meditations to smartphones.

Anyhoo, That's a few to get this thread started. I wonder what other members (or yourself) have tried/recommend. What didn't work for you?

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Queenie

Could you recommend the apps that you find resourceful please?

hi @Queenie im on day 2 of healing. it never seems fast enough. my kids can't come home again so they dont see the damage. I don't know if i can take another day of this...
Former-Member
Not applicable

@worried1 I hope you are fighting hard thinking of you x

Hi at @worried1, just getting back to you now (sorry about that, I haven't been near my laptop since Friday).... the apps I use are Smiling Mind and Stop, Breathe, Think. They are pretty good. I find the body scan pretty helpful.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Queenie Thank you i will download them & try them out
Former-Member
Not applicable

@Queenie i found a headspace app and calm before harm

Awesome @Former-Member! 🙂

it seems to get harder😩 completely forgot i said a friend could stay this week and now im trying to make excuses so no one sees me. i have so much to do for school starting and i look ...like a freak. I'm loosing it. I cant seem to heal quick enough😩😩thank you for thinking of me
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance