Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

invicta
New Contributor

Recovery

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I thought I'd share my story. 

I grew up having a series of traumatic events in my childhood followed by SA and addiction. I only got diagnosed last year around the time I turned 18.The hardest thing for me with my mental health was committing to getting help. A lot of the time I had no trouble reaching out, but once a mood swing had passed or I had a good day, I would tend to ghost therapists and mental health professionals because I thought I was 'fixed.' It took me a long time to be able to accept that I needed long term help and since then my life is definitely still full of ups and downs especially with my BPD and I feel great some days and really horrible other days. I just want to say as well I think its important to remember that there is so much stigma around borderline personality disorder but a diagnosis does not determine who you are as a person if that makes sense? sorry for the rambling, but that is my story in the simplest way I can explain it. 

2 REPLIES 2
MDT
Community Guide

Re: Recovery

hi @invicta
and thanks for sharing
i hope you feel like you've been able to express yourself
it can be hard to combine what our journeys are into words
Bow
Senior Contributor

Re: Recovery

Hey @invicta  

firstly welcome to the forums! I hope that you find it a helpful place to be. There are so many lovely folks here who have walked all sorts of journeys like yourself. 

im really sorry that you have faced so many challenges in your life and as a result have felt the sting of the stigma of mh issues.  I too was diagnosed in my early 20s with BPD, and have a complex history of trauma. Life certainly has its ups and downs! I’m really glad to hear that you have accepted that you would benefit from some more intense long term support.

there is a new discussion giving some helpful tips for navigating the forums here  hopefully it makes finding your way around a little easier 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance