Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

nymeria92
Contributor

Recovery after hospitalisation.

Hello!

My better half has been home from the psych ward since December (after two relapses in November 2019 due to not taking meds), He has been doing so much better albeit major side effects from his meds and residual psychosis. He is a diagnosed paranoid schizophreniac. Hubby is on a lot of meds (2 antipsychotics and mood stabilizers and heart meds). He is on continuing care and sees the case manager and psychiatrist regularly. He takes his meds regularly (i watch him take them). We are hoping his side effects reduce as his psychiatrist is unwilling to make changes to his meds yet. I am cautiously optimistic, however it looks like we have a long road ahead. We have been advised to apply for hubby's DSP by his case manager, which we will do so in the next month or so.

My heart breaks when i see how much my hubby struggles. Even on meds,  he is not really well and is constantly battling dizzyness, drowsiness, excessive pacing, anxiety, pains and aches. I am hoping, with time and rest he will feel better soon.

Keep your hopes up. Its a difficult situation, supporting our loved ones. Much hugs and kisses. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Recovery after hospitalisation.

Hello @nymeria92 

Home again = 😃

Side effects = ☹️

Getting your significant other on the DSP can help make life easier financially and I would encourage you to do this asap. Even though my hubby did not receive the whole benefit initially, the pensioner concession discounts are really helpful. As my name is on his card I get discounted meds and our GP bulk bills me too. Other discounts vary between states.  

Thank you for replying @Former-Member  🙂 . We will be applying in February, as my husband's case manager and assigned psychiatrist will be helping us with the application and case manager is on leave until February. I think it will definitely help, as hubby is on Newstart, and while he is exempted from applying for jobs until April this year, he has not been in a position to hold a steady job for years now, and going to job centres and applying for jobs just stresses him out more. 😞

Hope your husband is doing better 🙂 

Hi there @nymeria92  just wanted to check in on how you and your husband are travelling? Applying for DSP certainly sounds like a really good avenue to go down, with further supports and resources available to you as a result. Do you have any time to practice your own self-care whilst supporting him? Let us know how you're travelling whenever you're up for it Heart

@nashy thank you for checking in with me! We will be applying for DSP in February, when hubby's case manager comes back from leave. Husband is suffering quite a bit from side effects such as drowsiness, depression, lack of interest and motivation and anxiety. He started taking another sedative to help with his anxiety, and hopefully his appoinment on Monday with his psych team would give us better options. 

As for me, I had an interview yesterday for a job. Its been very difficult for me to find  job due to long gap in my employment (not being Australian PR complicates things). Anyway, just need to keep moving forward. 🙂 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance