Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Lucybell88
New Contributor

Partner has a form of psychosis

My partner and I have been together for a year now. 3 weeks into our relationship he had a psychotic break and reverted back to 0. He became this way after years of doing ice. <br>He is currently on 3 different meds and he had a pshychiatrist and a psychologist, even given hypnotherapy a go aswell. And he has improved since his break a year ago, no major improvements, more little steps. <br>And it’s just soooo hard on me as he is very scared to even leave the house and had these false delusions that people wanna hurt him. <br>And some days I just find it so difficult. But his entire family have given up on him, and some days I think it would be easier just to call it quits but I love him and would never foregive myself if I just gave up. <br>I want to spend the rest of my life with this guy, cause he truly is a wonderful guy. Just so hard some days. But in saying that he does have days where he is doing good.! <br>Anyone else find it tough?????

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Partner has a form of psychosis

Hi @Lucybell88 and welcome to the forum.

That sounds like a really tricky situation for you, where on the one hand you do love your partner and you can see that there is improvement happening for him (and it sounds as if he is doing things to help himself also which is great), but on the other hand you have those really hard times too. I can definitely see how that would be tough sometimes.

Do you have many supportive people in your life who are there for you? While I don't have experience with a situation similar to this, I can imagine that it might be really helpful to have people around to talk with or take some time out away from your partner, with. 

I'm sorry you haven't had a response to your post until now. Im wondering whether you might like to post on the carers forum too? There are many people on the carers forum in relationships of various kinds with people who experience mental health issues and I'm sure many will be able to relate to some of the feelings and challenges you experience. You may find more replies there because of that.

I'm not very familiar with the carers forum, but here's a thread where you can introduce yourself if you'd like. I'm also going to tag @Shaz51 and @Faith-and-Hope who spend time over on the carers forum and may be able to introduce you to some members over there. 

Hope your weekend has been ok ☺

Hi @Lucybell88 and welcome to the forums.  Pleased to meet you ....

I have had a very busy couple of weeks (looooong story) and was in transit between states yesterday.

Sounds like you have had a rough time of it ..... my hubby hasn’t suffered a psychotic break as such, but some sort of combination of mental health issues emerged several years ago, evidenced by eating disordered behaviour and an extreme need to control everything and everyone.  He is as yet undiagnosed, with no insight into anything being wrong.

If you like, I can tag you from a couple of threads on the Carer’s forum, and you will meet others struggling with mental health issues amongst their family members.

Thanks for the tag @CheerBear 💕

Hi @Lucybell88 .... 👋

How are you getting on ?

Hello @Lucybell88

Welcome to the forums, it is nice to meet you.

It sounds like you have gone through an awful lot with your partner and his psychosis symptoms, especially challenging with him not wanting to leave the house and the impact all of that has on you. I can understand why you feel like sometimes it is all too much.

It is great you are trying to work through all of this and find some extra support as that will help you to see him for who he is rather than his psychosis symptoms and problems that causes. There are los of carers and family who find this incredibly tough as there is only so much one person can support someone who is unwell without starting to take things personally and become burnt out, that is when you know that you do need some extra support to help manage it all.

If you need some carer support options such as support groups, counselling, programs to work on communication and boundaries I am happy to share those with you?

Lunar

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance