Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Faith13
Casual Contributor

PTSD and ADD

Hi there. I’m new here. I am 46 yo and have recently been diagnosed with ADD (attention deficit disorder) and PTSD from childhood experiences. I have spent years on antidepressants which most helped. Some made things worse. But all were prescribed for Depression and not PTSD or ADD. it’s been a life changer finding a psychiatrist who knows what he’s doing. I feel as close to normal as I think I’m ever going to get. I’m way less aggressive. Less nervous and anxious. I am able to be productive on a day to day basis. (Doing a load of washing was an epic event and achievement for me). I have 2 children with autism spectrum disorder and ADHD also, one of who is particularly challenging. I can’t get him to do anything or say anything to him with him yelling abuse and being violent towards me. I have organised routines and chore lists for them and implemented them consistently. I have not been able to do that previously and the house was a chaotic screaming match most days to even get them dressed. Now MOST things run smoothly. I can’t believe how easy things have changed now I’m able to function properly. I still find it hard to make connections with people and make friends. But I can work on that now that I understand the reason for my anxiety. But I’m so glad In particular for the change I’ve seen in my son. I was really starting to worry about his future in relation to his aggression and generosity attitude. But he has really taken to the new rules and routine. He comes home from school and the first thing he does is look at his chores list and do them all. Then he ASKS if he can go on his Xbox. Just wanted to share my story because I’m so happy that things are moving in the right direction for myself and my family. I’m very excited about the future. 😁
5 REPLIES 5
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: PTSD and ADD

Hi @Faith13
That is such a lovely journey to have read today. I similarly have a diagnosis of ptsd and maj depression amongst others and my son has a diagnosis of adhd and is on the spectrum. I love him to the end of the world but its challenging sometimes... He's starting to do better in so many ways since being diagnosed with the dual adhd and starting medication. Routine is unbreakable in our house because he doesnt cope, and same with instructions which need to be one at a time or he will get overwhelmed and very upset/angry... im still trying to find a way through the ptsd and depression and sometimes it feels as though this is just as 'ok' as it will ever be which is a bitter pill of its own.
Thankyou for sharing, i hope your day is smooth,
Take care

Hey @Faith13 Glad to hear you have hope.

We love our sons.

@Faith13.
Well done for being persistent and finally finding a psychiatrist who has helped you. You have obviously worked really hard with implementing this new routine for you and your children. And it is paying off. I bet a year from now, you will see a big improvement in your sons behavior, as he gets more comfortable with the routine and more confident in what he achieves.
Well done. Good to hear an inspirational story.

Hello @Faith13

Welcome to the Forums and thank you for sharing your story. It's great to hear that your diagnosis has changed your life for the better.

I'm not sure if you've had a chance to take a look around the Forums. You might like to introduce yourself here. We also have some social threads where you can chat about crafts, share your daily positives or say hi to other members.

Welcome once again @Faith13 and please keep posting Smiley Happy

Hi everyone, Thanks for all the positive responses. It’s great to know people are happy for us and that we can give hope to others.
Thought I might give you an update. We have been doing really good the last week. My son is starting to get bored with the new rules, routines and chores. But I’m doing my best to remain persistent and consistent. He still does his chores but complains more than he was doing. But I think I just have to push through it. He will get used to it and it will just be normal for him soon. He has stopped his meds recently and he has become a new boy. He is so happy, friendly and engaging, cooperative loving. He even turns his Xbox OFF to come out of his room and watch some tv with us and talk and have fun together. OMG a completely different boy. I wish I had done it sooner. I hadn’t told him that he had stopped taking meds. I just did it. Last night he said, “Mum, I don’t think I need my medicine anymore. I am happy now.” I nearly cried. He has been on medication for 4.5 years, that’s half his life! And now I don’t think he needed them for most of that time. (Bad mother guilt). Anyway, things are still getting better. My daughter is improving mentally too. All in all, I feel great about our future as a family and as individuals.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance