Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

WriterMelb
Community Elder

Old hobbies / interests; new beginnings. #hope #fun #routine

My shrink has strongly suggested that I get back into doing the stuff I'm good at. So tonight I'm going to meet with a potential new band. I'm not playing, just meeting drummer, bass, singer. I will see how it goes. I play keys. They are auditioning guitarists.

I haven't played with people for over a year. I feel  very anxious, overwhelmed and tearful. I am struggling. I know they are great people and I can play well.  I'm trying to do it in small steps. Meet first, get a sense of the groove, practice and then play. I am terrified of not keeping it together and they will think I'm crazy.  I leave in half an hour. Worst thing I will just come home. This is a big little step.  WriterMelb

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Old hobbies / interests; new beginnings. #hope #fun #routine

Best of luck for meeting the band @WriterMelb. It sounds like a good step to trying to get back into it. What sort of music do you like to play?

I play piano/keyboard (used to play well but am way out of practice) but don't consider myself a musician and have always felt too uncomfortable and not-good-enough for playing with other people. So I'm always impressed with people who can even consider doing that.

Not sure how it went. Nice people, I think it would work well. I was sent a message to hang on for a few weeks as they are breaking in some new guitarists. An open ended statement which gives them a gentle way out.  Ah well at least I was able to meet some new folk.

i will regroup, and have another go when I feel ready. Playing in a band is not hard. Mostly just three chord progressions and some twiddly stuff.

@WriterMelb  Hey WriterMelb good on you it took real guts what you did.  Show what someone can do when they put their mind to it. :)x

Thank you. Your response means a lot to me. I will have another go when I’ve got some more courage. Today’s been hard.

Best of luck @WriterMelb , I hope it all goes well and you have a good time.

And hello to @greenpea & @TheVorticon too!

Well done for going to meet them @WriterMelb. No one knows what the following weeks will bring so it could work out, but even if not it's good that you gave it a go.

Hi @Former-Member

Thank you for that. It's true I don't know what's coming up that's good. I will keep up the practice. For me that's a fee good thing.

Hey @TheVorticon .

How did it go @WriterMelb or haven't you gone yet?

I went. The guys and girl were lovely. They told me they are settling in two new guitarists. So they will be back in touch in two weeks. I then found out that the singer is leaving after the jam due to irreconcilable differences. So ........ well...... I'm not sure.  
I'm not making this up either! 👀😲 . I feel a bit better about myself after this, even though I've had a tough day.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance