Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Tyler
Contributor

New to Sane

Hi There, I have recently joined Sane. I have just recently moved to QLD from overseas and I was in New Zealand for 9 years.I am really struggling with being back home here.My husband is still back there.My parents are here my father has bad dementure/Alzheimer's and my mum who was always quite controlling.my whole life.Well she is worse now and medicated on alcohol and gets stuck into me.I have a step son who lives in nz and she has always made him feel like an outsider and not part of our family.Since arriving back I feel very lonely and isolated.I have two kids who are 8 and 6 and just started school.Ive had problems sleeping since I moved here and depression getting worse for me

25 REPLIES 25

Re: New to Sane

Hi Tyler, welcome to the SANE forums and to Australia again. I am sure you find this a good safe place to talk about things with fellow members. They are a wise caring bunch

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Tyler - welcome to the forums. I have two kids similar ages. It can be hard when you feel really alone. Not sleeping is the worst.
Hope that you find the forums helpful,
Take care
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Tyler, welcome to the forums. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate, and lonely. Can you see a GP and get a referral - a "Mental Health Care Plan"  to a psychologist ? It will help yo talk through these things. Also, try find one or two common n interest groups. Journal the day every might too. Its great you've reached out here. Hope you get some sleep tonight. ❤❤❤

Hi Lapses, 

Yes I do have psychiatrist but she has been so busy I'm on a waiting list. But as I've been away overseas not seen her for over 5 years. I will need to register with a GP if you can talk me through this mental care plan. I would appreciate it. I'm only sleeping 2 hours a night so feel like I'm in my own world most the time. I can't handle my family or the people in the other world if that makes sense

Hi Lisa jane yes it is hard to function and get through each day when I'm not sleeping . The kids have seem to settle into school OK. Wish it was the same with adults 😏
Former-Member
Not applicable

@Tyler, the GP will know about the Mental Health Care plan.
A longer double apt with is appreciated as the GP needs to gather a brief history. GP may also recommend a Psychologist. In my experience Psychologists are much better at counselling and empowering your / our own personal resources.

A MHCP provides you with significant gov rebate. My psychologist only required a $20 gap, some only charge the rebate. I had to pay up front then apply to Medicare for rebate which takes 2 to 7days.

Alternatively places like Centacare or Community Health Centre might help. Its not the same as talking with someone but journal how you feel, what you're worried about helps settle the mind. Bit like prayer. Try go for a long daily walk - helps with sleep. Keep posting here. You'll built an online support network that eases the loneliness 🌷🌿

Hello @Former-Member, @Tyler, @Former-Member, @marchhare 

utopia
Senior Contributor

@Tyler - I agree with @Former-Member. See a gp and get a MHCP sorted out. The gp can also help you with ideas on sleep and on your depression. A psychologist may be able to see you before your psychiatrist is free.
You have had to deal with a lot of changes recently - and they are bound to have an affect on your sleep and coping abilities. So try and be gentle with yourself. You are doing the best you can with what you've got.

Hi Everyone, 

Im sorry its been ages since I last sent a message. Yes the changes and adjustment had been alot to take in after the massive move to a new country. Things seemed to get worse and worse from then on. My father had alzheimers and that was main reason we moved to Brisbane. He had deterioated alot since last time he visited me in Auckland. He had been going to respite a few days a week to help my mum. In the past couple of months my mum had to get a hip operation and I was caring two days a week for him. He did have to go into a nursing home after she had her operation. Everytime I visited he seemed to get worse and worse. He was in final stages and he passed away on the 1st of March as he was admitted to hospital and just got too weak and he got the pneumonia with aspirations.My Dad and I were really close. My main issues with my depression/anxiety was bad as my relationship with my mum has always been strained. She is a controlling type A personality and is always right about everything. I could never have an opinion about anything. If I did and it was wrong she would blame me and the fact that it was my illness that made me feel the way that I did.

I finally got a MCP to see a psychologist I went to one and we didnt really gel she had no empathy and rushed me through my answers. I found another one who isnt a psychologist but a mental health care worker but I find her very supportive but ive only seen her once. She works on a Saturday and with kids it is difficult to find the time to see her. But now I just feel disconnected from my immediate family. Ive cut them out as they were making my mental illness worse and I know they are grieving. But now my Dad has gone I feel i cant connect with them. 

Our family is in a situation now where all I want to do is leave Brisbane. I feel like we have dug ourselves a hole that we cant get out of. 

Thanks for listening

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance