Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Need advice please (info below).

Some people I've already told about this, but I'll tag them again just to keep it to one thread. So as the title suggests, I need some advice please.

I saw a MH Nurse in my suburb, and no there's no one else I can see, a MH Nurse or not, where I live. I am seeing a social worker next week so I hope that goes ok, can't be any worse, well I hope not.

I've seen this MH Nurse twice, first time was rushed because he didn't know about it. Second time his whole attitude changed - he was so rude, abrupt and controlling.

He told me I scored a high score, 50 or something, on a K10 test (yes I was being completely honest in my answers), but then he said to me that he thinks I'm faking my mental illnesses. Of course that ISN'T true. My Psychiatrist (who is great, I don't have a problem with him) even sent him stuff with my diagnoseses.

Not only that, but he said that I see my Psychiatrist too much, although he agreed and is happy to see me every 2-3 weeks (he knows I have no other professional help and he told me he told the MH Nurse this), that I expect too much of him and I don't appreciate what he's done for me.

NONE of that is true - I always thank my Psychiatrist, and I appreciate him and what he's done for me, and I tell him this. He agreed to see me every 2-3 weeks, and I don't expect a thing from him. We talk about medication, symptoms, my mood, and whatever else comes up/what he asks me.

I'm so hurt and offended by this, and I feel betrayed by this rude MH Nurse, I wasn't to know this would happen. I feel bad even just typing this out and posting it, but I need to get it off my chest. This has even upset my parents.

Oh also, he called my Psychiatrist behind  my back, is trying to call my GP, AND the Headspace centre I went to where I had a bad experience (turns out he used to work there). I told him I DIDN'T want him to do that, and he even called my Mum behind my back. My Psychiatrist has NEVER asked to speak with my parents, although I'd be fine if he did because I know he would ask me.

When I told him what happened at Headspace (I won't go into detail about that, its too triggering), he stood up for them and thought I was lying too.

So, my question is, should I complain? My parents think I should. I'll be telling my Psychiatrist and then taking it from there. I know he won't be happy.

I feel so hurt, betrayed and like my privacy and trust has been taken away. I definitely don't feel comfortable and I don't trust this guy at all. He's going behind my back and doing stuff, bad stuff, and hiding things.

He's trying to get my Psychiatrist to hate me and not see me anymore, and I don't want that. So I hope my psychiatrist doesn't do that.

Please help, any suggestions anyone? I'll probably just cry telling my psychiatrist because this has been so upsetting for me.

And to be honest, before I even saw the MH Nurse, my Psychiatrist told me they spoke over the phone, I said I apologise because I wasn't aware that he would do that, and my psychiatrist looked at me funny and his tone of voice seemed like he didn't like him, without making assumptions. So that in itself says something.

Thanks.

135 REPLIES 135

Re: Need advice please (info below).

You should most definitely put in a complaint. That is apart from rude, completely unprofessional and breaks client Confidentiality, especially after you asked him not too. If you have trouble with that sort of thing ask your Psychiatrist to assist you if he is willing. Again I am sorry you are having to deal with this @Former-Member 

Thank you @Former-Member . I thought it was unprofessional and broke confidentality too actually. Glad you agree.

How do you mean ask my Psychiatrist? I forgot to mention I see him on a Telehealth company through an app, and he's in Sydney, I'm in Victoria. I haven't met him in person but I'd like to. But I'll definitely tell him

Asking him to help you file an official complaint. Maybe if you struggle with confrontation as I do, maybe he can do it on your behalf. @Former-Member 

Hmm, interesting. Well I'll ask, he's in the position to do that as I'm one of his patients, and I don't feel safe with the nurse, right? He's allowed to do that being my Psychiatrist and knowing about all of that, isn't he? I don't know

@Former-Member thanks for the suggestion. Yes I hate confrontation too

I agree you should definitely report him. That is completely unprofessional and Insensitive of him.  I am so very sorry you went through that @Former-Member 

their job is to support and help not criticise and make judgements. 
Talking with your psychiatrist would be a good idea too. Hope that helps you. 

@Former-Member  Definitely put in a formal complaint in writing to whoever this MH nurse works for.. make sure you state everything clearly 

Thank you @Lee82 @Escaped_Goat @Former-Member , I agree with all of you. I appreciate the kind words.

@Escaped_Goat he works at the hospital in my suburb, under the primary health thing. I have the manager's email address, I think she's the manager of the primary health not the hospital, I have no idea. Should I fill out a complaint form by paper or online or something? Then I might go to HCC or APHRA if they don't satisfy me.

I would be emailing the manager and I reckon you should definitely get your psychiatrist to write one too to back you up. @Former-Member 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance