Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Rudyard
New Contributor

Narcisist

Hi

I’m new here, I’m trying to decipher my life and it’s problems. My wife is currently in a form of therapy and believes me to be a narcissist. I have read a few fact sheets on the subject and am unsure how to go about this problem? What sort of help could I get to decide if I am a narcissist? I now understand I do fit a few of the traits but don’t know where to go from here. I do wish to change my life for myself and my family.
Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Narcisist

Hi @Rudyard and welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

If you feel like it, you can introduce yourself here.

It's great that you are reaching out for support for yourself and your family. There is an article on the SANE blog that talks about features of narcissism. Usually a good starting point is to see your GP or a psychologist who can help to clarify what you are going through and provide support. If interested, a psychologist can be found through the Australian Psychological Society website here.

Take care.

Self love can be a healthy part of living. It seems for all of us, it is about finding the right balance in relationships. There are a lot of sites on the net about Narcissists, which might be different from an actual disorder.

Take care, do a bit of research and see a GP if you think it is relevant.  Working on oneself is not usually a narcisstic trait.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Rudyard

Welcome to the forums, can be so hard to reach out and talk about having difficulties in marriage, thank you for reaching out here. I think for help to understand things like narcissim it would be useful to see your gp for a referral to a psychologist or family counselling maybe...? It sounds as though you would really like to improve/save your marriage which is so important... 

Take care

Hi @Rudyard

Welcome to the Forums. It's great that you are feeling motivated to change your life for yourself and your family. As others have said, the first point of contact with any mental health concern is your GP - they can then refer you onwards or offer support themselves.

You might like to read this thread started by @Tanz who was in a similar situation.

And there are lots of members who have talked about the impact of mental illness (their own or their partner's) on their relationship.

How is everything going since you last posted? Please feel free to share your journey - there is always someone here to listen Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance