Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

MaryMahem
Senior Contributor

My rTMS Treatment Experience

Hi,

I started rTMS treatment on Monday.  I have done a lot of reading about it and talked to my PDr but I haven't heard any personal experiences.  I've decided to give a commentary on mine for others who might be considering the treatment.

repetative Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation  rTMS is a mild form of brain stimulation. Magnetic fields, generated by a simple coil placed on the head, are used to stimulate a small area of the brain. 

14 REPLIES 14

Re: rTMS Treatment Experiences?

@MaryMahem. I haven't had TMS myself - but people I met in hospital who were having this treatment only had good things to say about it.
I hope those who have had or are having TMS will reply to your post soon.
Maybe the @moderators might know some forum members who use TMS in their treatment plan, & tag them

The psychiatrist has suggested that treatment for me but I'm not too sure if that's the way I want to go.

I had my first treatment today and it was painless and interesting.  Effects aren"t felt for at least 2 weeks so I might give an update then.

Hi @MaryMahem

I know many will find an update useful.

I know that it can be frustrating for some to not see results straight away, but hopefully in time you will see a difference.

Good to hear it was painless - it's often one of the first questions people ask about the treatment.

Keep on persevering!

Nik

I’m interested to hear what TMS is @MaryMahem.
Can you tell us a little about what it is and what symptoms it is reputed to be treating?
How are you feeling today?

Hey @MaryMahem, how are the treatments going? It was given as a treatment option for me at one stage, but I told them I doubted I could sit still that long (I was told it is 20-30 minutes per treatment, is that right?). I like to get up and move around a lot. Pity really about my inability to sit still as I've heard it works miracles.

Hi @Queenie@Catcakes and @NikNik.

I have BPD, PTSD and depression and it is the depression that causes me the most problems.  I have long term depression.  I first noticed symptoms around the age of 8 and they have increased over time (I'm now 45).  I have tried many therapies and medications with little success.  I started seeing a new pyschiartrist at the start of last year and after no succes with a range of medications, I asked if I was suitable for ECT.  The Dr told me about rTMS and I researched it and was keen to try it.  

I am doing my treatment in a private hospital as an inpatient as I want to do therapy at the same time (this hospital has a targeted CBT group for TMS patients).  You can also do it as an outpatient privately or in some public hospitals.  From my enquiries, if you have no private health and do it privately it is about $150 per session, with an average of 20 sessions.  If you do it publicly there is no cost (Logan Hospital does it in QLD).  You have to get to and from each session and they do it 5-6 days a week.  Most people are fine to drive or catch public transport after the treatment.

The treatment is painless for me but does cause a little discomfort and may cause headaches or neck pain afterwards.  You sit in a reclining chair with a neck pillow and the coil sits on an arm over your head and pulses or clicks.  Mine is quite fast and sounds and feels like Woody Woodpecker, but the women next to me today had a  very slow pulse.  The are a few variables which they work out with testing before starting treatment so no 2 are the same.  My treatment goes for about 30 minutes.  Your head has to stay still so the magnet stays in the correct spot, but you can move arms and legs and talk (I don't think it's dangerous to move it just ineffectual).  I've been chatting to the nurse and listening to music with headphones.  Some people read, some people play games on their phone.  

Some things I found out last week that I didn't know from my research is that it seems to work better for people who don't have success with medication.  Having epilepsy, brain injuries or seisures may exclude you from treatment.

I chose to try this treatment because:

1.  It was something new.
2.  It seems to have few side effects.

3.  It is not invasive - ECT is my next step but that carries more risks and side effects.

4.  The success rate seems quite high compared to other treatments, especially in conjuntion with medication and therapy.

5.  I shouldn't give up until I have tried everything.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have, but otherwise I'll give an update in 2 weeks.

Thanks for the comprehensive review @MaryMahem
And good luck with the treatment program.

Re: My rTMS Treatment Experience

Hi Mary Mayhem

Any difference you are finding with your therapy? Has it been 2 weeks
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance