Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

AMBERLK
Contributor

Mental health

Hi everyone.  Im new to this . I have battled mental health for my whole life , I am 45 ! I have recently gotten tired if you know what I mean and joined private insurance to get me into private care but I have to wait the 2 month waiting period b4 i can go in. This is proving to be so very difficult.  Im trying to hold down a job which is beyond hard . I have 2 beautiful kids and a amazing partner who save my life . You know they keep me here. My mind feels like a freight train that dosnt stop and a cloud of darkness that the sun dosnt visit much anymore.  Ive lost me and im scared. Any advice will be lovely.  Hugs and kisses to my warriors 

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Mental health

That is a hard place to be @AMBERLK but unfortunately a lot of us here know that place so well. You have support around you at home and it is that little bit of hope right now that is invaluable. 2 months is a long time to wait when that darkness descends so I am wondering if you have a psychologist/pdoc/counsellor that you can also talk to while you wait. 

I find having a routine and things to do keep me going help. Work is a massive plus but I also love my job so that part is easy. It is the times I am on my own with my own thoughts that life can get more difficult - thankfully I have this community to help in those times and you now have us also.

Welcome to the forum Heart

Thanku so much for the reply . I do have counselling but had to stop to afford the private health insurance 😥 but my kids n partner are great teachers n help with a listening ear n open heart . Work helps keep me stable as im a aged care worker n its essential work so it gives me a sense of pride even tho I'm struggling.  Thanku for the welcome.  Knowing im not alone is comfort x

Have you seen your GP for a Mental Health Care Plan @AMBERLK You may be eligible for bulk billed appointments with a psychologist. Some psychologists still charge but the rebate makes it more affordable. Something to talk to your GP about maybe?

It is great that you have such a supportive and caring family. This MH stuff is hard enough without that support so that is a real positive for you. It is also great you have your work especially that you take such pride in what you do - that does make a difference ....you are making a difference Smiley Very Happy

You certainly are not alone here Hon - it is a great community with so many people that not only get it but will support you along the way also. That support has been invaluable for me over the years and now you will have that also.

What are some things you like to do outside of family and work? I don't have a lot of extra time with my work but when I do (and am motivated) I like to paint, garden, and am in the process of renovating parts of my house (that is a very sloooooow process lol).

Yea i may see my gp again its just hard fitting in psychologist qpp with work poor excuse but true. Lol. I am under psychiatric care so I see him regularly.  He is who was insistent i go into care. . I love to read in my down time I get lost in the writen word . I like to meditate as often as I can if I dont get lost in my mh. I love to netflix n chill lol with my partner.  We trying to walk as much as possible atm that isn't going so well lol. Im just tired n the sadness is from inside . The thoughts are persistent and I just need a reprieve for a bit u know what I mean. Im so damm tired x hope ur house reno is going ok I'd loveeeee to do that in the future.  We moving to nimbin in a few years when the kids are settled so I gotta stick round 

Yes very much know those persistent thoughts that just hang around @AMBERLK Every waking hour that our minds are not occupied by something else leaves room for those thoughts unfortunately. It is a slow process to work through that darkness and feels so often like there is no light that can get in. You do have those lights in your life though with your family and you have a lot you love to do to kick back and enjoy what you can out of life - keep doing them because it does matter. Walking is something I hate but used to take my dog to the beach a lot and I enjoyed that ...haven't been for a long time but hoping to get back this summer.

Glad you have a psychiatrist that is helping you - that also makes a difference to have someone in your corner and you are in regular contact with. Utilise that avenue as much as you need until you can get the respite you need as well. That is the downside of our health system national wide unfortnately - not enough places for those that need it and usually a long wait to get into hospital (even with private insurance sometimes).

X thanku

Do you have any plans for tonight @AMBERLK I am going to treat myself to a bubble bath because it has been a hell of a hard week.

Hi,

im so sorry you are struggling as I am also.

Im glad you have your partner to support you and I'm sorry you have to wait the 2 months to claim the care you need. In the meantime perhaps you could try this recorded exercise to quiet your mind and anxiety given to me by my Counsellor. I hope it can help you in some way. Kind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx1H4gv9pRY

Hey @JM2020 Lovely you could join us here and welcome to the forum yourself Smiley Very Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance