Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Roast
Casual Contributor

Medical Trauma

So this is my first post so not really sure where to start...

I am struggling to process the events of the last 72 hours and thought sharing what is going on might be helpful.

Essentially my son has been sick for about 5 weeks, due to covid I have been unable to actually have him seen by a GP only telehealth where I kept being told he just had a virus. 2 nights ago my son (3) came and told me he was dizzy, I could see his eyes start rolling back into his head and a few moments later he lost consciousness. He was radiating heat had a temp over 40 degrees. I had to call an ambulance and he started turning blue and wasn't breathing properly. We were rushing to the local children's hospital where they did a bunch of tests on my boy that showed he has pneumonia, which is causing him difficulties with breathing his breathing, but they can't tell me for sure if the loss of consciousness was due to lack of oxygen or a febrile convulsion.

Now I can't sleep, I keep worrying that something is going to happen if I take my eyes off him, I am not due to talk to my counsellor for another 2 weeks, I have had 5 hours sleep over the past 3 days which isn't sustainable and I just don't know what to do with myself. 

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Medical Trauma

First off I want to say your doing great! I can tell how much you love your boy & how much it’s hurting you that his not well. 

I would suggest inviting someone over such as a friend ( preferably with experience with kids ) or your mum to watch him while you try to catch up on some sleep? Maybe if his still in the same house & someone is watching him that could help you sleep alittle? 

@Roast 

Oh my gosh, how scary for you having that happen. When things like that happen to our kids, as mums I think it's our worst nightmare. 

The forums are a great place to find like-minded people so I hope others reach out with support. Have you managed to have any sleep? Do you have any relaxations techniques that might help? I know even with all the relaxation in the world you will still worry about your son. Are you able to get any reassurance off maybe your GP that he is over the worst of it?

Hanami

@hanami I managed to get a little sleep last night while my sons dad stayed at my place and stayed awake all night to watch my little one over night. I have made an appointment for him with the GP tomorrow and I am hoping they will be able to reassure me that he will be ok. 

That's good to hear @Roast 

My own daughter has had her share of health issues when she was little and there were many nights I didn't sleep with worry about her. I totally get your anxiety over this. I hope everything goes well at the appointment.

Hugs,

Hanami

@hanami Thank you. My son is also Autistic and doesn’t understand what is going on too much. We are waiting on some more medical tests to see how badly he is aspirating and see if he will need a third surgery.

Sick kids is the worst feeling. I carry some trauma from nearly losing my son.
I hope you managed to get some support and good health care in hospital. Sending hugs.

Good idea. It's a hard time all round. I hope all goes well. So many nasty bugs about. Eat good food and keep up the fluids, both of you.

Hi @Roast ,

Thank you for sharing what has been going on your you. It sounds like a very scary place to be in. It is understandable that you have had so little sleep.

I came past here and wanted to check in with how you are going as well as your son?

@tyme I’m still not sleeping. My son seems to be a little better. It’s going to be a slow recovery I think. There’s still a lot of anxiety that he’s gonna get worse again and that he’ll be back in the hospital, but it is settling slowly.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance