Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Mn12
Casual Contributor

Managing work and anxiety

I can't stop overthinking about work, even after hours I am thinking about my job and what I need to do the next day and that sinking feeling I am going to get fired although no one has spoken to me about this, how do you wind down and take your mind off work? 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Managing work and anxiety

hello and hugs @Mn12 

sending you understanding hugs as my husband who has bipolar 11 and other diagnosis finds it very hard to unwind 

have you got a coping box , hobbies that you like to help you xx

@greenpea@Appleblossom@eth@Faith-and-Hope@Maggie@NatureLover@frog@Judi9877@jem80@Dadcaringalone@BPDSurvivor 

@Mn12  Welcome.

I have an overactive mind, and I find it hard to wind down. I don’t work now, but I still get caught in the whirlwind of my mind.

Are there things you enjoy ? Like listening to music. A shower. A tv program. I like to paint, it help me to focus and turn down the mind volume.

We have a few threads that might help.

The Community Garden 🙂 . Some lovely pics.

Dogs Rock 😆  if you like dogs

Something that made me smile today or helped me to breathe a little easier for a bit. 

Just some suggestions. Take care.

Hey @Mn12 ,

Thank you for your post!

I work a pretty intense job. From the very beginning, I set my boundaries for work. I always said home is home. Home is NOT for work. I know things are a little different now with COVID and working from home, but I still believe boundaries make a difference.

Home should be a place of refuge. If you have family, it is for family time. When I was working from home, I made sure I was in a diffferent room to my bedroom so that as soon as work hours were complete, I shut up shop, including my brain (from work). When I was supposed to be working, it set a clear routine. For example, I didn't sleep in, nor crawl into bed during work hours. 

I have now returned to work onsite. At the end of the day, I leave my laptop and my things at work so that my mind automatically switches to 'relax' when I get home. If I do per chance do work at home, I set a few hours and that's that. 

This takes time to train your brain. I have always remembered: I WORK TO LIVE AND NOT LIVE TO WORK. 

If you are constantly on edge, it lowers work performance, reduces quality of sleep and can bring on anxiety and depression. Work-life balance is key.

I also end each day with a short 5-10minutes of guided meditation using the Smiling Mind app.

All the best,

BPDSurvivor

It's hard @Mn12 

My psych suggested having some sort of transition routine/marker when I get home.

I like to get out of work clothes, have a cup of tea and catch up on home emails.

He suggested meditation or pausing in the car to think of things that went right/that I'm grateful for from work before I close the car door and move on to home. Have to say that although I like the idea I haven't managed to implement it yet.

@Shaz51 @Maggie @BPDSurvivor 

Have you tried meditation?  I suffer from anxiety and severe depression.  Meditation isn't as difficult as you think.  I also listen to 528Hz while meditating.  I personally have found peace in this.  I have also had sweet and comforting dreams while playing this.  It has also worked for many of my friends,  it's worth a try.  Hope this helps.  B3 blessed xx

@Overwhelmed1ofm  Hi there. Welcome to the forums.

Its good to see you joining in. I hope to see you around.

Hi @Mn12 

I can relate to this one! My anxiety kicks into overdrive at night - thinking about projects, work the next day, the giant 'to-do' list and can also relate to the feeling of 'they are going to get rid of me / fire me' even though there is no evidence to support that is going to happen! A couple of strategies I use:

1. I just shared in another post on Top tips for COVID anxiety something that I like to do in the evenings when my anxiety is highest is watch Bob Ross paint along tutorials. I find them really soothing and distracting.

2. If there is a lot of work stuff on my mind I will sometimes write a list of everything I am worrying about so I know it's there for me for the next day, and I don't have to keep it all in my head. 

3. I have a partner and talking to them about my work worries is sometimes helpful. Particularly getting a reality check on the 'I am going to get fired' unhelpful thoughts.

4. Mindfulness breathing awareness / grounding exercises right before bed. I use insight timer and this specific exercise, but there are loads of apps etc out there if you wanted to explore something that works for you. 

I hope you can find some strategies that work for you. Great that you have reached out to the forum for ideas. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance