Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Let`s talk about Bipolar

Hi All @Dimity @greenpea @Shaz51 @Meowmy @bipolarbunny 

I took melatonin for a few nights to reset my sleeping pattern and it helped improve my sleep.

I also talk to strangers when i go for a walk by the river, sometimes it builds community connections and i feel less alone.

A smiling local face helps me feel connected to my community.

Is there a park or walking track somewhere nearby? 

yes one foot in front of the other, during difficult times. wishing you peace love and calm. @Historylover

Love this bipolar bunny, exercise is the best medication and recipe for a good night's sleep.

Thank you for your tips and advice !! Excellent !!
@bipolarbunny

@rivergal thanks for your suggestions... very helpful 

Hi @bipolarbunny @Shaz51 @Olga et al

I agree that weight management is really difficult on an older style antipsych medication. I usually struggle with my weight but have had success this year and have just reached a target my gp set me. Lots of veggies and dried pulses. Complex carbohydrates and wholegrains. Avoidance of processed foods and alcohol. Occasional lean meat or fish or eggs. Olive oil and a plant sterol spread ( expensive but has helped reduce my cholesterol). Yoghurt, tofu, kimchi fairly often. I'm trying to walk several times a week but that's  not always easy with a low mood and low energy, but I know in principle it should get easier. Being fairly disciplined with what I eat has really improved my gut health - another thing  I've struggled with that seems closely tied in with stress levels and psych meds. 

@Shaz51 I really sympathise with mr shaz but if the meds are helping his mood I'd set a goal of maybe 6 weeks to see if diet can help. My gp told me  I could get a dietician bulk billed but I decided to try by myself first. So you might be able to get a dietician's advice re portion control and calorie counts per serving... serving size being so important.

@rivergal  Hi rivergal I agree I love going for walks and saying good morning to passers by particularly if they have a dog that I can pat :D.  Makes life worth living.xxx

Hi beautiful @Shaz51, I understand why Mr Shaz could feel that way. I have had the same problem with weight side effects of medications. End 2018, talked with my psychiatrist about it and we switched medications. Since then it's been going down slowly but steadily over a couple of years and that is continuing. The change of meds has worked well. It may work even better now that I'm on the path of walking more and doing more physically. Smiley HappyHeart

hello and thank you @Historylover@rivergal@Dimity@greenpea@Mazarita@bipolarbunny@Appleblossom 

mr shaz tried different meds last year but ended up going back to his regular ones 

i think once the sun comes back out again and he will gets his energy back , it will help 

he does not like raining days 

relaxing today soo far , thinking of some weeding after if i get the energy 

mr shaz has gone back to sleep 

Hi @Dimity 

congrats on reaching your weight target! That's amazing!! I'm so happy for you! I'm trying to eat more veggies etc too. I get IBS (no gallbladder) so sometimes it's a pain (literally) trying to find the right thing to eat.  I'm slowly chipping away and my fitness is improving so I must be doing something right. 

Hi @Shaz51 

I don't do well with the cold weather either. It definitely plummets my mood. I'm trying to rug up and still get outside. Went for a run in the cold the other day and it was actually invigorating. I think half the time it's just convincing yourself to move that's the hard part. I have this little power phrase I live by at the moment. It is, Just Show Up. So every time I don't feel like moving, I think of it. I put my running or bike gear on and I go outside with no plan on how far I'll go and start moving. 9 times out of ten once I start moving I get into it and actually have a good workout. It even works when I'm super anxious and my brain is too loud. I think the simplicity of it has just become habit. 

BB 🐰💙

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance