Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Owlunar
Senior Contributor

LEST WE FORGET

Both my grandfathers fought in the Great War 1914-1918

One was an Anzac and the other was British - both were in the British Expeditionary Forces and fought in the same battles - I often wonder if they ever met never knowing they would share the same grandchildren - my parents were not born until after that war

I never forget - I used to go to the march every year with my kids - and knowing the adventurous side from one of my grandfather's stories I thought this was indeed the great adventure of many lives but it was so much more and so much worse than that. I never met my other grandfather but I went to the War Memorial nearly two years ago now and learned a lot about the man I never met

For all soldiers in all theatres in all wars through all time - they ran toward their adverntures but found a travesty that took their lives so let us remember

Lest we forget

Poppoes.jpg

Dec

6 REPLIES 6

Re: LEST WE FORGET

Let us remember all those who suffered both physicaly and mentaly, death not just of the body but of the spirit. They gave so much for us.

flanders-poppies.png

You are right @Wanderer

They gave everything for us - those who died on the battle fields or after gave their lives

And many of those who have returned have given more than that - with different names for PTSD - who knows what they went through as survivors

Dec

That is a really great poem and well set in the poppies @Wanderer

Thank you 

Dec

@Owlunar

Written in 1915, reaches out.

@Owlunar, my grandfather was in the second world war ,

the story goes  he tried to get into the first world war by lying about his age , but they knew he was too young and sent him back home

Yes @Wanderer

Yes - that poem does reach out - and has for over 100 years

@Shaz51

How about the generation gap - in fact it seems to me that there has been war going on somewhere all my life - starting with WW2

There is always violent unrest somewhere in the world - it seems some politicians do forget - alas

My British grandfather lied about his age to go to WW1 too and no one stopped him - he won medals and I have them in my possession - they are very precious

Dec

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance