Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Tay
Senior Contributor

Isolation and death

Subject sounds bad - I just wanted to speak to people who have lost loved ones but can't visit grave sites. My first son, James died at birth and I visited his grave every year - now I'm not allowed to. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Isolation and death

I really feel your pain. My son passed away 6 years ago and I usually like to go visit his grave at least once a fortnight. Hubby and I will grab a coffee on the way and go chill with him for an hour or so. I get so much comfort when I go visit with him, but, as you say, we are no longer, at the moment, allowed to do this. It is really getting me down, I just cannot understand why we cannot do this, like, we arent going to hurt them and they are not going to hurt us, type of thing. I have resolved to do the right thing, as dictated to us, for so called safety sake, but I get so annoyed when I hear of people (2 I know personally) who flaunt the rules and just go to their childs grave, when it suits them! I just hope and pray this existence as we know these days, ends sooner rather than later. 

Have you thought about creating an online memorial at find-a-grave?  I did this for

my UK grandmother and uncle and for other relatives whose grave sites are just

geographically impossible for me to visit.

Hi @Tay  and @Smb35 

That is very sad that you can't visit a grave right now - I guess with the lock-down not everything could be individually assessed and yes - good question - why can't someone visit a grave

It's obviously important to you - I haven't been to my son's resting place for a long time - I left the church for my own reasons and therefore don't want to go there and my son's ashes were in a memorial garden which I heard has been moved and it's not the same - how could anyone like that?

So I hear you - and I also think @Jo-anneJoy  has a good idea for a memorial at find-a-grave - which might fill the space for this time - I hope you can find some solace though 

It's hard - very hard - being a bereaved parent/s - a huge part of our future was taken when our children die - and nothing can fill that spot - I understand and add my thoughts at this time to yours

Dec - bereaved mother

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance