Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

newone
Casual Contributor

Is mental illness a disability?

Hello, I have recently recieved a diagnosis for Borderline Personality Disorder, OCD, anxierty and major depression and have started taking medication and am waiting to start therapy. I am wondering if this is considered a disability? I am not seeking to go onto disability, but it is more about identity. I am 41 and have struggled my whole life to maintain jobs, relationships etc and am currently single with a mortgage on a half renovated house. As i am looking for work, i want to know if i have a disaility, and what may be helpful to disclose, as I don't think i am able to work full time. I am also an artist.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Is mental illness a disability?

Hi @newone and welcome to the forum. Mental illness can be considered a disability depending on how much it impacts your life (as far as I understand). It can also be called psychosocial disability.

I'm not sure about whether it might be helpful to disclose mental health issues to a potential employer. I'd like to think it would always be helpful so your workplace could support you and you could work in a way that works for you and them, but I don't think that's how it works every time. I've started a little work in a position where lived experience of mental health issues is a requirement so that made and makes it a bit easier for me. Hopefully others will come by and share some experiences soon.

I read that you've recently been diagnosed but am wondering whether you have experienced mental health issues before now and how have you managed it with work in the past?

You also mentioned that this question is about identity for you. I found (and still find) myself feeling a range of different things when something diagnosis related happens. How are you finding it is feeling for you?

Hope you find it helpful to be here.

(Also, there are some other arty people around if you're interested in checking out some social spaces while you're here. There's one discussion here that comes to mind, but there are lots of different spaces to join in with if you'd like 🙂)

Sometimes it has been very helpful for me to manage myself, by accepting my LIMITS.  Yes that can be a disability, in a world that recognises no limits.  Learning to predict my needs and limits helped in overall self regulation.  I know the delight and challenges of the artistic lifestyle.

I really like the way you pose the question @newone 

Smiley Happy

Yes they can be a disability. 

As such,  you can contact CentreLink and ask to be placed with a disability job network provider.  This is meant to give you more chances of securing employment. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance