Skip to main content
Forums Home

Carers Forum

Acceptance, connection, support. Share the journey.

Safe, anonymous discussion for people living with mental illness, moderated 24/7 by mental health professionals.

Read the community guidelines
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Our stories

Re: Introduce yourself here

Welcome Liz, nice to meet you.

good morning @KayB , @Lizzylu Heart

letting you know you are not alone xx

@Faith-and-Hope 

My 21 year old has anxiety and depression  ( since age 13 )  he did really well doing a 2 year course (games design ) but has deteriorated enormously since then - no work and now his illness makes even attempting to apply or seek work difficult. i feel we are spiralling deeper and deeper into the catch 22 of no work, no self esteem ....

Hi @ilovemyson and welcome.

This forum has helped me heaps. I can relate with you in many ways, I love my son too! My son is 30 and was diagnosed with schizophrenia about 2 yrs ago and it's  devastating when you can't make everything better again...no kiss and a band aid now.

My son was on Newstart and having to look for work was SO stressful for him, forms and letters, having to go to the library to use a computer, the list goes on. It's hard enough for him somedays to get out of bed, let alone have to deal with people.

(He doesn't live with me and my partner, (his father passed away 15 yrs ago), due to some violence in the past before he was on a treatment program).

His Drs managed to have him put on a disability pension, which is a good and bad thing...he doesn't have the stress of looking for work, but he doesn't have all the social and mental health advantages that working brings. Your Catch 22.

I had to leave work early yesterday, with chest pressure, faintness and nausea...got it  all checked out and I'm OK, but I'm sure it is brought on by the constant worrying.

Well I hope you find some helpful information here with people who are all trying to do the best we can.Don't forget to take care of you!

Cheers Libra xo

Right now I'm housebound caring for my 18-year old daughter and monitoring her constantly in case she needs to be hospitalised, though we're trying to prevent that. I joined this group because I'm feeling isolated and afraid, and being in a support group helped me in the past when my son was going through severe depression, anxiety and social phobia.

My 3 random facts:

1. I love being active in nature, bushwalking or bicycle touring.

2. I find my cats very, very soothing - with 3 I try to tell myself I'm not a crazy cat lady yet but I've been given a T-shirt that says I am.

3. I'd wanted to join a choir again ever since high school and promised myself I would when I retired but, when my husband left 3 years ago and I was shattered, I decided to do it sooner rather than later. I love my choir. I can pour out my heart and it comes out as music and having to control my breathing and sing a precise note at a precise moment is the best mindfulness exercise ever.

Nature, cat-stroking and song

Right now I'm housebound caring for my 18-year old daughter and monitoring her in case she needs to be hospitalised, though we're trying to prevent that. I joined this group because I'm feeling isolated and afraid, and being in a support group helped me in the past when my son was going through severe depression, anxiety and social phobia.

My 3 random facts:

1. I love being active in nature, bushwalking or bicycle touring.

2. I find my cats very, very soothing - with 3 I try to tell myself I'm not a crazy cat lady yet but I've been given a T-shirt that says I am.

3. I'd wanted to join a choir again ever since high school and promised myself I would when I retired but, when my I felt shattered after my husband left ("Barnabied") me , I decided to do it sooner rather than later. I love my choir. I can pour out my heart and it comes out as music and having to control my breathing and sing a precise note at a precise moment seems like a great mindfulness exercise.

Re: Nature, cat-stroking and song

hello and welcome to the forum @Nouche 

letting you know you are not  alone my friend

I see you wrote (Nature, cat-stroking and song) -- you are very welcome to start a new thread by that heading

Hey there @Nouche  welcome to the forums! I think our community will provide you a great deal of insight and resource Heart Really sorry to hear you are feeling isolated and afraid, we're here to listen and hold space as much as we can. If you want to share more about your journey with your daughter feel free to start a thread here (by clicking New Discussion). Also feel free to have a read over our Community Guidelines here Smiley Happy

Look forward to seeing you around the forum @Nouche I think you might be one of a few choir members here too! Looking forward to hearing more about this. 

Highlighted

Hi. To be honest Im not sure what to write here 😳. I am here to support a girl friend that has opened my eyes recently to the reality and world of BPD. Im not sure how much support she gets from others but that’s beside the point. She is important to me and we have been through a bit in our lives and i want to do this and show her the support and care and love she needs to get through whatever it takes. As i often say to her i want to hold her hand and walk every step of this journey with her! (And typically her response is β€˜Oh Gawd, why’ 🀣). But thats easy to answer, I genuinely care for her. 

So im here, im clueless, and Im up for the challenges this journey will bring...all of it. 

So, Hi everyone. I think i can use some help here😊.

Oh 3 things about me....

1/ love the summer and all it brings

2/ love travelling

3/ dog lover particularity border collies, staffys and rhodesian ridge x’s.

Chat later. Bye.

hi @Novicesupporter @Nouche  and welcome to you both

well done on reaching out for some supports. Please feel free to start a thread for yourself so we can support you along your journey, and join in where you feel comfortable in doing so. we have many threads here you may be interested in. a popular thread is called Hot Chocolate Anyone ?  where many carers hang out and share a virtual cup of coffee or tea. no need to read from the beginning just pop in and say hello

A forum tip is to put an @ before a members name and itll tag them so they recieve a notification from you. 

For urgent assistance, call: