Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

TracyB
New Contributor

Insurance Policies

Why do you have to tell the insurance company being for house, contents or life insurance that you have a mental disability (excluding wearing of glasses/lenses).  This clause is combined with drug use, criminal records, etc.  This has stopped me over many years from getting any life insurance.  I can function normally like anyone else, as I have been on medication for the last 30 years.  I have held a full time job withouth a break for the last 40 years.   Is this discrimination?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Insurance Policies

Hi TracyB 

Welcome to the forum.

I'm my opinion this is certainly discrimination. Maybe there is a ombudsmen that you can could contact in relation to this matter.

Take care

Karen

Does not sound right .. I havent noticed it in any of my insurance policies .... maybe I havent read enough small print ...

Hi @TracyB,

Hi and welcome to the forums, i am no legal expert, but your medical conditions are not an issue for home and contents, they can not discriminate on these grounds for home and contents.

The reason they discriminate on the grounds of MI for life insurance is you are at a higher risk of early death, statistically speaking people with MI die a lot younger than the general population, they use benefit/risk analysis to establish if you can make them more money than they have to pay out, even though you are likly to live to old age, they arew only going on statistics.

I hope this helps.

Good luck

Jacques

you must ask whether this clause is relvant, many companies have a standard proforma as they are international. otherwise ask your treating Doctor to help arrange insurance at your next appointment. My GP has been invaluable, they are there to lessen your anxiety as this helps keeps you well.

Health Insurance

Health Insurance in USA is an online portal for all the health related insurance information in USA and all over the world.Health insurance helps protect you from high medical care costs. It is a contract between you and your insurance company. You buy a plan or policy, and the company agrees to pay part of your expenses when you need medical care.Many people in the United States get a health insurance policy through their employers. In most cases, the employer helps pay for that insurance. Insurance through employers is often with a plan. These plans contract with health care providers and medical facilities to provide care for members at reduced costs. You can also purchase health insurance on your own.

Hi @TracyB,

I have not been able to get life insurance either becuase of MI but I haven't had problems with the other insurances.  Is it because you are going through the same company?  I wouldn't think MI should affect car or house insureace but I understand why it hinders life insurance.

Privacy Laws prevent any organisation from Collecting sensitive or health information.
Sorry pills just kicked it.. simple version don’t state any MI as no law exist to Penelope you

Apologies I clearly fell asleep and somehow wrote Penelope lol Anyhow Privacy Laws protect your information, disclosing your MI is classed as disclosing your sensitive information being health information. The law says an organisation may only collect sensitive information if Athe individual consents and the information is reasonably necessary for one or more of the entity’s functions or activities.
So what that means is a) you need to consent and if you don’t there is no way the insurance company could lawfully collect the information that you have a MI from anywhere else
b) The insurance company can still provide insurance without the information so it is not necessary

MI is YOUR ILLNESS and no one else’s so unless they are treating your illness you have no need to tell them
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance