Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Surviving85
Casual Contributor

I don’t know where to start

Over the past 10 years,  I have really struggled to improve my mental health.  It has been a long journey of scheduled public hospitalisations, Mental Health Tribunals,  restraints,  injections,   ECT (many times).  I have just spent three months in hospital.   I have spent $50,000 on hospital treatment just this year and ongoing treatment costs me $700 per week (as I attend day program).  

I am not well enough to work, but have to return to work next week so I can continue to pay for my treatment.  I have approached many community services and I am not eligible for their services because in their view I don't pose a high enough risk.  

I am really at a loss of what to do because I am caught in a financial cycle of having to work an incredibly stressful job to pay for my treatment that is largely contributing to why I need the treatment.

I don't really know what I want,  I guess just some help where somebody is not reaching into my pocket for more money all the time,  and that is actually going to see me as a person not as a cash cow.  

11 REPLIES 11

Re: I don’t know where to start

Hello @Surviving85 

I would like to say hello as a fellow member..

At some stage a community guide will introduce themselves and offer you some direction..

The forums are very large to navigate and to save you from being overwehelmed should this be your first time; they will help break some of that impact for you..

I happened past as often happens with me ...I read something that I think yes I hear what that person is saying and you, Surviving,  do need to be heard...

Ten years of working so hard to improve your mind health needs to be known..The money is ridiculous...

Even without the money the effort that you have put in and continue to do so, for a day programme is commendable and a credit to you..

I am not about to ask you a lot of questions about the expense...

I can offer one suggestion and that is if you have had ten years of what society refers to as mental health ...along with everything else that you have mentioned to improve this... you can get in touch with the government advocate...they used to be referred to as a disability advocate...mental health falling into that category (all government terminology)...they can offer you some sound advice as well as, whether or not they can further help you in your huge efforts, to stay in a work force that is incredibly stressful..

This should definitely not be.

If you have a look around the site you will find varying fact sheets...also avenues of help..

Somewhere what I suggested will be listed..

As it is late you might not get a response from anyone else and that is why I wanted to write something to let you know that you have every right in thinking that you are entitled to help..

You have a lot of strength and courage to come this far also to write on the forums..

Someone will find you..

If not please tag me

by typing @ then clicking on my user name Sophia in the drop down box...I will get back to you when I am on here next and respond..

Take care in the meantime..

Thank you for visiting..joining and welcome...

Sophia

Oh @Surviving85 , it sounds as if you're caught between a rock and a hard place 😞 Sorry to hear. 😞

Hi @Surviving85 ,

Welcome to the forums. I can see you have worked so hard on your recovery, yet the system seems to set you up for failure.

Do you have private health insurance? I'd probably start with that so it can cover the cost of inpatient stays and certain therapies.

Do you have a regular psychologist/psychiatrist ego can support you through this? Perhaps they can offer suggestions for alternatives?

I guess the system does cater for the 'walking well'. Instead, they focus on those who are acutely unwell and services are there to provide episodic care...

Another thing, can you work part time?

Sorry to hear about your struggle to keep yourself well. I was in a stressful job for years. I did find it was better being part time,but I know it is not always possible. Less money but less stress and time to relax and time to enjoy leasure activities. I found walking relieved stress.

Just stopping by @Surviving85 

to check that you have been found by community guides..

You might possibly be feeling overwhelmed...why am I bothering...all too hard...

or none of these..

I just wanted to reassure that you have found a place where you will start to meet new people with whom you can relate and if you choose to have following virtual conversations....this is often the part that helps the most..

The connection...with others going through their own struggles..

Natural to  feel overwhelmed and self question as well..

You do deserve and have every right to be here just in case you are travelling down the road of self-questioning..

There are some social threads possibly found in social spaces..where you can interract socially with others..

hmmm I will tag @Flying_Hams @outlander @eth @Anastasia  who are just a few very friendly , helpful community guides..

Can you please tag our new member to some of your social threads where they can choose whether or not to just observe or join  in..

I shall leave you in very capable hands..

Take it slowly and look after yourself..

Sophia 

Hi there @Surviving85
I'm sorry hear you're going through all of this
I know the feeling though - navigating the system is a job in itself at times isn't it?

Feel free to continue your outreach here. This is Avery supportive community with a lot of people who can relate to your experiences.

Take care and see you around

perhaps a tag to the good morning thread @Flying_Hams 

I am not good at this sort of stuff

@TAB hi 👋 my friend I really believe you are needed here please 🙏

hi @Surviving85  and welcome

thank you for the tag @Sophia1 

Well done on reaching out for support. im sorry that youve gone through so much and still continue to do so. whilst i havent gone through some of the things you have i can understand the hospitalisations and the medical expenses. i have had a few hospitalisations myself and they can take their toll sometimes. The financial strain for medical treatments can be so expensive. i know the past few years all i feel like im doing is paying specilalists to help with either my mental or physical health. 

are there any support services who may offer some free counselling sessions at all? Have you considered applying for NDIS or the disability pension at all?

please feel free to have a look around. ill link in a few threads that you may be interested in as well, please do pop in and say hello. we're all friendly here and happy to lend a listening ear. when replying to a member if you put an @ before the members name it will tag them for you so theyll recieve a notification from you. 

Re: Good Morning 

checking in 

Got a coping strategy that you find good? Share it here 🙂 

Re: Tabalugas 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance