Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

House maintenance triggering my anxiety (trigger warning!)

The house I am renting is having the floors in the bathroom, laundry and toilet retiled. The first thing was to be a portable toilet delivered, which hasn't arrived yet. The plumber has taken the toilet out, and now the is a septic smell throughout the house which has triggered my anxiety. I keep thinking the smell is coming from me, but it isn't, but that is something that causes me intense anxiety. The tiler is here removing the old tiles. The noise is triggering me also. This is supposed to last over three days. Knowing me, I will probably collapse into a cleaning frenzy when it is all over. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: House maintenance triggering my anxiety (trigger warning!)

Hi @Former-Member, hope the three days go quickly so that you can get towards a comfortable home again. Good thing is those renovations will make it even nicer when it's over. Totally get how home renovations could bring anxiety. I had a similar experience when living in a previous rental and the landlord decided he wanted to rip out a perfectly good kitchen and replace it, for tax minimisation reasons. It was hellish as I was going through one of the worst mental health times in my life. Life as a tenant is really bad at times and much worse than it used to be when I was younger. Anyway, survived to tell the tale and it's okay now. May that be the case for you too once this short time of renovation is over. I must say I actually did enjoy the new kitchen when I'd recovered from the stress.

The portaloo has arrived, and they are not as bad as they were when I remember using them. The tiles are looking quite nice so far, a lot better than they used to be, it should all come up nice. We are also getting a brand new toilet once this is all done because the old one was rusted. so it is practically going to be all new. I'll still be anxious until this is all over, but I have calmed down a lot. Thanks for your support.

I have been triggered by so much less (pest-control, plasterers, anyone with a pulse really). You are inspirational to me. How do you do it? I mean, I don't want to stigmatize you with a pedestal but you, brave stranger, have earned my salute.

@wellwellwellnez wrote:

I have been triggered by so much less (pest-control, plasterers, anyone with a pulse really). You are inspirational to me. How do you do it? I mean, I don't want to stigmatize you with a pedestal but you, brave stranger, have earned my salute.

I am stressing out internally, but I am stuck in this situation, so I've gone into defence mode. I've been wiping it down with disinfectant and spraying Glen 20, as well as making sure the water basin is full. I keep thinking the neighbours are complaining about the smell, they are not, but I can hear the scenario in my head. Hopefully, it won't be much longer.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance